Six countries demand FIFA strip Qatar of 2022 World Cup, says Infantino
The six Arab countries who last month cut ties with Qatar are reported to have written to world soccer's governing body FIFA to demand it be stripped of hosting the 2022 World Cup because they consider the Gulf state to be a "base of terrorism", APA reports quoting Reuters.
The Swiss website The Local reported that Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Mauritania, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt had collectively written to FIFA asking it to remove Qatar as hosts under Article 85 of the FIFA Code, which allows for such action in the case of emergency.
Reuters has not seen a copy of the letter and FIFA said that their president Gianni Infantino had not received any such document.
"The FIFA president has never received such a letter and subsequently has not done any comment on that," said a FIFA spokesman.
"As already said, FIFA is in regular contact with the Qatar 2022 Local Organising Committee and the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy handling matters relating to the 2022 FIFA World Cup," he added.
A source familiar with the Qatari government's World Cup activities said Qatar is aware the Saudis and others are engaged in such a move but understands Qatar has not yet received the letter.
People in the United States who represent and advise the Saudi government have also not yet responded to Reuters' request for confirmation or comment.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar in June, accusing it of supporting terrorism and Iran. Doha denies the charges.
Qatar, a country with a negligible soccer background or infrastructure, was a controversial winner of the right to host the 2022 World Cup, which will be held in November and December to minimize the impact of the desert state's harsh climate.
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Football: Akhisarspor oust Galatasaray, reach cup final
- 19.04.2018Finalists of Azerbaijan Cup on football determined
- 12.04.2018Bayern Munich advanced CL semifinal with scoreless draw
- 12.04.2018Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus
- 11.04.2018Liverpool knocks City out of Champions League
- 11.04.2018Barcelona dumped out of Champions League after stunning Roma turnaround
- 04.04.2018Real Madrid defeats Juventus in the Champions League quarter-final first leg
- 23.03.2018Serbia expelled from handball event for cancelling Kosovo match
- 17.03.2018Fenerbahce, Galatasaray goalless in Istanbul derby
- 15.03.2018Bayern Munich knocks Besiktas out of Champions League
- 10.03.2018FIFA imposes transfer ban on Turkey's Trabzonspor
- 07.03.2018Ronaldo scores again as Champions League holders Real Madrid beat PSG
- 04.03.2018Neymar undergoes successful foot surgery
- 04.03.2018Video assistant referees set to be used at 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 04.03.2018Galatasaray crush bottom-placed Karabukspor 7-0
- 28.02.2018Galatasaray grab 2-1 away lead in Turkish Cup
- 23.02.2018A police officer has died following clashes between Athletic Bilbao and Spartak Moscow fans
- 21.02.2018Champions League: Bayern dominates Besiktas in 5-0 rout
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 21.07.2017Galatasaray knocked out of UEFA Europa League
- 21.07.2017Gabala FC qualifies to the third round of Europa League
- 27.07.2017Fenerbahce take round one against Sturm Graz
- 15.07.2017Galatasaray part ways with Wesley Sneijder
- 29.06.2017The Chilean national football team beat Portugal in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup semifinals.
- 24.06.2017Mexico knocks out Russia from FIFA Confederations Cup with 2-1 win in Kazan