Turkey beat Croatia in critical World Cup qualifier
Turkey's National Football Team defeated Croatia 1-0 on Monday night in a 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier Group I match, APA reports quoting AA.
After falling to Ukraine 2-0 on Saturday in Kharkiv, Turkey was battling to stake its place in the group and found a golden opportunity to beat group leaders in New Eskisehir Stadium.
In front of some 30,000 fans, the Turkish team managed to oust Croatia, thanks to a follow-up goal from striker Cenk Tosun in the 75th minute, after Oguzhan Ozyakup's long-range shot was denied.
Croatia was dangerous in the first half, when a shot by the visiting team was denied by the woodwork.
Before the match, Turkey had never beaten Croatia in a 90-minute match. Turkey's record was five draws and three losses to Croatia.
The most memorable previous bout with Croatia was back in 2008, when Turkey won to advance to the semifinals, as decided by a penalty shootout.
Tonight's win kept Turkey's qualification dreams alive, as they increased to 14 points in eight matches.
In the other matches of the group, Iceland defeated Ukraine 2-0 and Finland beat Kosovo 1-0.
Related news releases
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 14.09.2017UK minister wishes FC Qarabag to win Chelsea with score of 7:0
- 24.08.2017Rivals of Azerbaijani Garabakh FC in the Champions League group stage become known - LIST
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev allocates AZN 2 mln to FC Qarabag
- 24.08.2017US Embassy in Azerbaijan congratulates FC Qarabag
- 13.09.2017Champions League: Chelsea defeats Qarabag
- 13.09.2017Lionel Messi magic leads Barcelona to Juventus win
- 13.09.2017PSG’s devastating trident destroy Celtic
- 04.09.2017Azerbaijan beats San Marino 5-1 in World Cup qualifier
- 02.09.2017UEFA opens probe into PSG club over compliance with financial fair play rules
- 25.08.2017Fenerbahce ousted from Europa League