Turkish star quits international football after assault
Turkish star midfielder Arda Turan on Tuesday announced his retirement from international football in the wake of his assault on a journalist, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"I am ready to pay the price for what I have done in my life and I will. I am doing what is necessary and I am ending my national team career," said Turan, 30, in Slovenia, where the Turkish National Football Team had been preparing for a World Cup qualifier.
"Do I feel sorry? No, I don't. I am at ease. If you do something [wrong] in your life, you will pay the price. I made a mistake," he added.
Turan's announcement followed his assault on Turkish sports journalist Bilal Mese on the plane returning from a national team match in Macedonia on Monday night.
Several Turkish journalists left the hall when Turan entered to make his announcement.
The Turkish star added that he was trying to be a good and honorable man rather than a good player and thanked the public, his teammates, and family for their support.
After beginning his career with Turkish Super Lig giants Galatasaray, Turan moved to Barcelona in July 2015.
Barca signed him from Spanish club Atletico Madrid for €34 million ($38.3 million), making him Turkey’s most valuable player of all time.
Turan debuted in Turkey in 2006 while he was 19 years old.
Considered a key player for Turkey, Turan scored 16 goals and produced 25 assists in 97 matches for his country.
Related news releases
- 09.02.2018FIFA World Cup Trophy presented to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.02.2018Besiktas first semi-finalist of Turkish Cup
- 31.01.2018Football: Arsenal sign Aubameyang for record fee
- 17.01.2018Agent says former World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired
- 06.01.2018Everton signs Turkish striker Cenk Tosun
- 23.12.2017Real defeated by Barcelona
- 18.12.2017Galatasaray sacks manager Tudor upon poor performance in recent weeks
- 10.12.2017Galatasaray comeback defeat Akhisarspor
- 08.12.2017Football: Konyaspor eliminated from Europa League
- 07.12.2017Cristiano Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or for a fifth time
- 02.12.2017Besiktas routs Galatasaray 3-0 in year's final derby
- 01.12.20172018 World Cup group stage draw held
- 30.11.2017Football: Basaksehir, Trabzonspor win in Turkish Cup
- 29.11.2017Football: Galatasaray defeat Sivas Belediyespor 5-1
- 25.11.2017Galatasaray bounce back with 2-0 win over Alanyaspor
- 25.11.2017President of FC Gabala: “Championship will not be easy”
- 25.11.2017Barca extends Messi's contract until 2021
- 24.11.2017Football: Konyaspor, Marseille draw in Europa League
- 23.11.2017British ambassador says ‘she was upset with defeat of Qarabag FK’
- 22.11.2017Champions League: Qarabag 0-4 Chelsea
- 21.11.2017Besiktas advance to Champions League's Round of 16
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev receives FIFA president and secretary general
- 19.11.2017Football: Basaksehir trash leaders Galatasaray, 5-1
- 10.11.2017Russia unveils official match ball of 2018 FIFA World Cup; Messi ‘gives it a try’
- 04.11.2017Ghana ranks 52nd on FIFA World Ranking
- 03.11.2017Gurban Gurbanov appointed head coach of Azerbaijani national football team
- 03.11.2017Europa League: Konyaspor, Salzburg draw 0-0 in Austria
- 01.11.2017UEFA Champions League: Atletico Madrid 1 - 1 Qarabagh FC
- 26.10.2017AFFA does not extend contract with Robert Prosinečki
- 24.10.2017Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men's Player for second year running
- 24.10.2017Fifa Best Awards: Olivier Giroud wins the Puskas Award for stunning scorpion kick
- 18.10.2017Qarabag gets first UEFA Champions League Group point
- 07.10.2017Football: Iceland crush Turkey's 2018 World Cup dreams
- 06.10.2017Bayern Munich confirm Jupp Heynckes return for fourth spell as head coach
- 01.10.2017Galatasaray win thanks to last-minute goal
- 27.09.2017Champions League: Qarabag 1 – 2 Roma
- 24.09.2017Fenerbahce beat Besiktas in eventful Istanbul derby
- 22.09.2017Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar lead FIFA best player shortlist
- 21.09.2017Date of the European League final in Baku determined
- 20.09.2017Alexis Sanchez Ignores Real and Chooses Man City
- 07.06.2017Real Madrid star Benzema joins street iftar in Turkey
- 10.06.2017Northern Ireland beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at European Championship qualifier
- 13.06.2017Iran beats Uzbekistan 2-0, gains entry to 2018 World Cup
- 04.06.2017Real Madrid wins UEFA Champions League
- 01.06.2017Football: Konyaspor win their first ever Turkish Cup
- 27.05.2017The world's highest-paid soccer players 2017: Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi lead the list