Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
If Russia wants, it can settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict peacefully, Ariel Cohen, a prominent American political analyst and leading expert at the U.S.-based Atlantic Council, said in an interview with APA’s Moscow correspondent.
The American political analyst said that he has been following the settlement process of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict since 1994.
"I must admit that I have already lost my optimism. I don’t believe that the Armenian side is ready to make serious steps towards a peaceful settlement of the conflict. I hope I’m wrong," he said.
He noted that Azerbaijan is getting stronger year by year, increasing the power its army.
“Azerbaijan purchases modern weapons, conduct military exercises. We witnessed this during the battles in April 2016. Therefore, I think that there will be bloody clashes sooner or later, which is greatly unfortunate. After these clashes, the parties will understand the importance of resolving the conflict, most importantly, resolving on the basis of UN Security Council decisions,” Cohen said.
The American political analyst also touched upon the role of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries in the settlement process.
“As I mentioned, the parties will sooner or later understand the importance of resolving the conflict on the basis of UN Security Council decisions. Russia plays a major and important role in this process. We observe a distant US in this process. Europe is in crisis from a geopolitical point of view and is facing its own problems. In a word, Europe is not in the power to solve the Karabakh problem. Russia is the only power in the region capable of doing something. If Russia wants to settle the Karabakh conflict, and if the Armenian side is also ready for this, I think that Azerbaijan, for a long time, would agree to a peaceful solution within the framework of the conditions put forward by Azerbaijan," he added.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 27.03.2018Baku: Armenia responsible for vandalism against Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs may meet in July
- 30.06.2017Baku consents to Minsk Group co-chairs’ proposal on meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs may meet on July 11: source
- 30.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 29.06.2017Booking.com suspends hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 25.06.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 148 times