Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
The First General Assembly of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform was held in Tbilisi, Georgia, on Oct. 30.
Participants of the First General Assembly of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appealed to Pope Francis.
“As a religious figure, you have dedicated your entire life to the promotion of ideas of peace and compassion among the people and the mankind. After you have been elected in Holy See, your activity has grown in size and efficiency. Your constant recalling at the meetings with public officials of the fact that each of the children of Adam is the God’s masterpiece regardless of their religion, race, gender, or nationality, contributes to the making our world more peaceful and humane,” said the participants in their message.
“As you know, there are still facts of aggression, war, occupation, forced evictions of people from their homes in different parts of the world. The destructive ideas that fuel the hatred of some people towards their fellow men, the myths used by the certain forces still stand firmly. These war seeds have been also sown among the Armenian and Azerbaijani peoples who have been friends and neighbors for centuries, sharing the same cultural accomplishments,” reads the message.
“For more than 25 years, the two neighboring nations are forced to live in a state of war. During this time, representatives of both nations act towards each other as victims of hostility and hatred. Young soldiers who face the ceasefire of formal character, and the civil population living near the front line are being killed. The recent rising tense military situation had to destroy all hopes for the reconciliation of the two neighboring nations and their coexistence based on just peace. However, regardless all the difficulties, civil society representatives and journalists who didn’t lose their hopes and believed in the peace took the peaceful initiative. These people established the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform on December 6, 2016. Since its foundation, it attracts civil society members, public policy figures and media representatives to the peace building process, they promote these ideas in both societies, and despite all the difficulties, they are confident in their work. All these activities allow us to effectively institutionalize for the sake of more effective results as the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform,” says the message.
“On behalf of the participants of the General Assembly, we ask you to bless our sacred duty and for your support to the soonest settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan, Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the returning of people to their homes and ending the 25-years long hostility between the two neighboring nations,” reads the message.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Armenia abuses water as means of ‘ecological terror’
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Int’l community witnessed Armenia’s invasion policy once again
- 22.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 101 times
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 31.10.2017Conference on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict underway in Tbilisi
- 31.10.2017Azerbaijan hands note to Mexico over MPs’ illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31.10.2017Bosnia and Herzegovina MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform – a step forward
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to religious leaders of two countries