Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 140 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on June 15.
The Armenian armed forces were using heavy machine guns, 60-mm and 82-mm mortars (2 shells).
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kamarli, Ashagi Eskipara villages and on nameless heights of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Voskevan village and on nameless heights of Armenia’s Noyemberyan district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions in Aghbulag village of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Chinari village of Armenia’s Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Zamanli village and on nameless heights of Gadabay district also underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Tartar district, Shikhlar, Garagashli, Yusifjanli villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Ashagi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagarda, Garvand, Gorgan, Kurdlar and Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights in Goranboy, Tartar, Khojavand and Fuzuli districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018OSCE can increase frequency of monitoring exercises in front line areas
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan puts EAFJD head on Interpol wanted list for illegally visiting its occupied lands
- 21.02.2018U.S. doing its utmost to help settle Karabakh conflict – envoy
- 20.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Dialogue must be established between Armenian and Azerbaijani communities of Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA comments on Armenian president’s congratulatory message to illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 20.02.2018Erdogan: One of greatest atrocities in human history happened in Khojaly
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister: War may break out at any time
- 19.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 17.02.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan commemorates 26th anniversary of Garadaghli massacre
- 15.02.2018Moscow says hopes for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.02.2018Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan can be exchanged for Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – State Commission
- 14.02.2018MFA: Armenia must finally understand that occupation of Azerbaijani lands will never produce desired political outcome
- 14.02.2018Russian musician off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018US Intelligence: Tension over Karabakh could develop into large-scale conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 12.02.2018Bulgaria president: Karabakh conflict can be settled only through peaceful means
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Attempts to change Nagorno-Karabakh’s demographics ‘gross violation’ of int’l humanitarian law
- 11.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 131 times
- 11.02.201826 years pass since occupation of Malibeyli, Gushchular villages of Azerbaijan’s Shusha
- 09.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meets Armenian president
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ presence in Azerbaijani territories remains major cause of non-settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.02.2018EU: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict a ‘very big challenge’
- 09.02.2018Mogherini: EU supports Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- 09.02.2018Baku: Nalbandian’s offensive attitude towards UNSC resolutions shows Armenia’s disrespect for UN Charter
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani FM says there is ‘intensity, concrete and logical flow’ in Karabakh talks
- 09.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Armenian troops’ withdrawal from Azerbaijani territories key to political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.02.2018Armenia becomes a political, economic, energy and transportation dead-end – Azerbaijani president
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia to remain isolated until occupied Azerbaijani lands get liberated
- 08.02.2018Armenian scientist banned from participating in Italy int’l conference for conducting research in Karabakh
- 08.02.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.02.2018Intensive talks to continue after presidential elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia – MFA
- 07.02.2018U.S. says will continue efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 06.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk visits Tartar District Executive Authority
- 04.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 130 times
- 03.02.2018Anti-Azerbaijan provocation prevented during scientific seminar in Moscow
- 02.02.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 02.02.2018Foreign Ministry makes statement on scheduled visit of OSCE MG co-chairs to Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2017Russia says it's doing 'everything possible' for compromise to be reached on Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2017Russian, French FMs may discuss Karabakh conflict in Moscow
- 16.06.2017Minister: Armenia tries to misappropriate cultural monuments in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani president: Restoration of Jojug Marjanli village is a historic event
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Army building is number-one priority for Azerbaijani leadership
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: All occupied territories of Azerbaijan will be liberated