Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
An international conference entitled "Parliamentarians Against Drugs" kicked off in the Russian State Duma on Monday.
The conference brought together parliamentarians, officials and leading experts from 44 countries. Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Yury Fedotov, Russian Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova, the speakers of the parliaments of Indonesia, Iran, Mexico, Pakistan, the United States, Uzbekistan, and Ecuador, deputy speakers of the parliaments of a number of countries, and NGO representatives made speeches at the conference
After the plenary session, the conference proceeded with the sections entitled "Drug Addiction: A Modern Approach to Treatment and Rehabilitation", "Improving Legislative Regulation of the Fight against Illicit Drug Trafficking", and "The Role of NGOs in the Fight against Drug Threat".
Speaking on the theme “Improving Legislative Regulation of the Fight against Illicit Drug Trafficking", First Deputy Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ziyafat Asgarov shared his views on drug trafficking and the fight against drug addiction.
He noted that combating illicit drug trafficking must be carried out on a global scale through cooperation.
According to Asgarov, illicit drug trafficking is directly linked to terrorism, separatism and the financing of illegal armed groups.
“Under various slogans, as well as the interpretation of the right to self-determination which is incompatible with the principles of international law, “gray zones” are created in a bid to carry out illegal activities, including illicit drug trafficking. From this point of view, it is clear that separatism, violation of territorial integrity of states, including the separation of parts of territories have close connection to such crimes as drug smuggling, illegal arms sale and terrorism financing. This causes a serious concern in relation to Nagorno-Karabakh,” he said.
The activities of the central government in occupied Nagorno-Karabakh are completely excluded, stressed Asgarov.
“This creates a fertile background for the activities of various criminal groups, including those involved in illicit drug trafficking,” he added.
The deputy speaker also emphasized that complex measures are being taken in Azerbaijan to return drug users to social life.
He also spoke about the penalties referred to in the Azerbaijani legislation on drugs, as well as the conditions created for the re-socialization of drug addicts in the country.
A joint declaration will be adopted after the two-day conference.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement within OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 04.07.2018Russian State Duma deputy responds to accusations against him
- 04.07.2018Russian lawmaker under attack after recognizing Karabakh as Azerbaijani territory
- 04.07.2018Baku reacts to reports of Armenia deploying internal troops in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed