Azerbaijani parl’t deputy speaker highlights illicit drug trafficking in Nagorno-Karabakh at int’l conference in Moscow
An international conference entitled "Parliamentarians Against Drugs" kicked off in the Russian State Duma on Monday.
The conference brought together parliamentarians, officials and leading experts from 44 countries. Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Yury Fedotov, Russian Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova, the speakers of the parliaments of Indonesia, Iran, Mexico, Pakistan, the United States, Uzbekistan, and Ecuador, deputy speakers of the parliaments of a number of countries, and NGO representatives made speeches at the conference
After the plenary session, the conference proceeded with the sections entitled "Drug Addiction: A Modern Approach to Treatment and Rehabilitation", "Improving Legislative Regulation of the Fight against Illicit Drug Trafficking", and "The Role of NGOs in the Fight against Drug Threat".
Speaking on the theme “Improving Legislative Regulation of the Fight against Illicit Drug Trafficking", First Deputy Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ziyafat Asgarov shared his views on drug trafficking and the fight against drug addiction.
He noted that combating illicit drug trafficking must be carried out on a global scale through cooperation.
According to Asgarov, illicit drug trafficking is directly linked to terrorism, separatism and the financing of illegal armed groups.
“Under various slogans, as well as the interpretation of the right to self-determination which is incompatible with the principles of international law, “gray zones” are created in a bid to carry out illegal activities, including illicit drug trafficking. From this point of view, it is clear that separatism, violation of territorial integrity of states, including the separation of parts of territories have close connection to such crimes as drug smuggling, illegal arms sale and terrorism financing. This causes a serious concern in relation to Nagorno-Karabakh,” he said.
The activities of the central government in occupied Nagorno-Karabakh are completely excluded, stressed Asgarov.
“This creates a fertile background for the activities of various criminal groups, including those involved in illicit drug trafficking,” he added.
The deputy speaker also emphasized that complex measures are being taken in Azerbaijan to return drug users to social life.
He also spoke about the penalties referred to in the Azerbaijani legislation on drugs, as well as the conditions created for the re-socialization of drug addicts in the country.
A joint declaration will be adopted after the two-day conference.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018The OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs issue joint statement on the meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs
- 18.01.2018The OSCE MG Co-Chairs will visit the region in early February
- 18.01.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "The co-chairs proposed a number of creative ideas about the resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 18.01.2018Krakow meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs ends - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Meeting between Azerbaijani FM, OSCE MG co-chairs kicks off in Krakow
- 18.01.2018Armenia soldier receives gunshot wound
- 18.01.2018Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Poland
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow today
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan welcomes UN chief’s call for revitalizing mediation initiatives for Karabakh conflict
- 17.01.2018ICG reveals some issues to be discussed at upcoming meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani FM: France should prevent entry of Karabakh separatists into its territory
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 06.12.2017Armenia conducts military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.12.2017European Court of Human Rights to deliver new judgment in case of Chiragov and others v. Armenia
- 06.12.2017Armenian FM meets OSCE MG co-chairs in Vienna
- 03.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,700 times in November
- 01.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed