Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining status-quo hinders progress in Karabakh talks
The sides held discussions on the next round of negotiations on a new Azerbaijan-EU partnership agreement, expressing confidence that the work on a draft agreement will be completed before the Eastern Partnership summit to be held late this year, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry told APA.
They announced that the next round of talks on the draft agreement will be held in July.
Mammadyarov noted that conducting constructive and intensive negotiations on the draft agreement is a positive development.
The minister said that political and trade issues were mainly discussed at this stage of the talks.
He pointed out that Azerbaijan remains a reliable partner of the EU.
Briefing on the ongoing negotiations on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Mammadyarov stressed that this conflict is a major threat to the region.
He added that the presence of Armenian troops in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining the occupation-based status quo makes it impossible to make progress in resolving the conflict.
Mammadyarov also pointed out the importance of the European Union approaching the matter of protracted conflicts on the basis of territorial integrity and sovereignty of states within their international recognized borders, as stated in the EU Global Strategy for Foreign and Security Policy.
EU Commissar Johannes Hahn, in turn, offered his congratulations on 15 June – the National Salvation Day of Azerbaijan and noted the existence of pragmatic and practical cooperation between the EU and Azerbaijan in the areas of transport, trade, connectivity, and energy.
The sides also exchanged their views on development prospects for EU-Azerbaijan relations and regional issues of common interest.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan’s refugee and IDP pain highlighted in the French Senate
- 22.06.2017Moscow says OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement fully reflects its stance
- 22.06.2017MFA spokesman: OSCE MG co-chairs should draw conclusions from public discontent in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017ICRC begins dialogue with parties on Armenian scout captured by Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2017U.S. Department of State: "The United States is deeply concerned over the recent violations of the ceasefire"
- 21.06.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani detainees in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan removes Japanese blogger from ‘black list’
- 21.06.2017Stark reminders of Azerbaijan’s IDP plight come to Brussels
- 21.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 20.06.2017EU envoy expresses concern over situation in South Caucasus
- 20.06.2017Minister: There can’t be an influx of tourists to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Some Muslim countries still provide assistance to Armenia
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes OSCE MG co-chairs for failing to settle Karabakh conflict
- 19.06.2017Co-chairs to brief Minsk Group members on Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia pursues goal of undermining Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement after their visit to region
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Most int’l organizations recognize occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 19.06.2017Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed: German envoy
- 19.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia tries to interfere with OSCE MG co-chairs’ activities
- 19.06.2017Popov expresses regret over recent ceasefire violations on contact line
- 19.06.2017Popov: Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents stand for continuation of peace talks
- 19.06.2017Popov: Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement addressed to both sides
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani official accuses Armenia of continued provocations
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan will never give up principle of territorial integrity
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to start visit to Azerbaijan today
- 18.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Responsibility for escalation of situation in front entirely falls on Armenia
- 17.06.2017Another Armenian soldier killed on frontline
- 16.06.2017Minister: Armenia tries to misappropriate cultural monuments in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 15.06.2017Russian, French FMs may discuss Karabakh conflict in Moscow
- 15.06.2017Russia says it's doing 'everything possible' for compromise to be reached on Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani president: Restoration of Jojug Marjanli village is a historic event
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Army building is number-one priority for Azerbaijani leadership
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: All occupied territories of Azerbaijan will be liberated
- 14.06.2017NATO official compares situation in Karabakh with USSR-US relations during “cold war”
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Minsk Group co-chairs should strive more for just decision to be taken
- 14.06.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: I expect nothing from Minsk Group co-chairs’ upcoming visit to region
- 14.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 16.06.2017IDP plight highlighted for new Westminster Parliament
- 16.06.2017Three Armenian soldiers violating ceasefire killed
- 17.06.2017Two Armenian soldiers wounded in Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.06.2017Bryza: War is in interests of neither Azerbaijan nor Armenia
- 16.06.2017Ex-US ambassador: Armenia should withdraw from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No progress will be achieved in Karabakh talks until US, Russia come to agreement