Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
The Armenian leadership must realize that the resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict can create opportunities for regional cooperation, which they greatly need and ensure lasting peace in the region, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said in an interview with AZERTAC agency.
Mammadyarov said the agreement reached early this year was to intensify peace talks following the elections in Armenia and Azerbaijan on the basis of the current agenda.
“As can be seen, Armenia underwent an inevitable political crisis. Azerbaijan has always stated that the Sargsyan regime’s policy leads Armenia to the abyss. Closely following the political processes in Armenia, the Azerbaijani side stated that if the new government in Armenia is to pursue a coherent policy, progress can be achieved towards resolving this conflict. If they follow the path of Sargsyan’s regime, they will meet the same fate,” the top diplomat noted.
Mammadyarov emphasized that Azerbaijan’s position in the negotiation process is clear, unambiguous and decisive, and it, first of all, is based on the norms and principles of international law, and UN Security Council’s resolutions.
The foreign minister said that the format and agenda of the negotiation process, conducted with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, are clear.
“The road map for the process of a stage-by-stage solution is also well known to all. In order to achieve progress in the conflict resolution, first and foremost, the fact of occupation must be eliminated and Armenia must withdraw its troops from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, as enshrined in the resolutions of the UN Security Council,” he added.
Mammadyarov also announced that he will meet with his Armenian counterpart in Brussels on July 11 with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs.
“The choice is for Armenia. The upcoming meeting will show whether Armenia is ready to play a constructive role in the conflict settlement or not,” the foreign minister said.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 82 times
- 19.07.2018Björn Rahm: ICRC regularly visits persons detained in relation to conflict
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement during its OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 04.07.2018Russian State Duma deputy responds to accusations against him
- 04.07.2018Russian lawmaker under attack after recognizing Karabakh as Azerbaijani territory
- 04.07.2018Baku reacts to reports of Armenia deploying internal troops in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani PM calls for release of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 01.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 90 times
- 30.06.2018Azercosmos: Armenians committed arsons in 280ha area in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 30.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Armenia holds military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times