Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
Baku considers the statements recently made by the Armenian leadership a non-constructive step aimed at undermining the negotiation process on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and maintaining the occupation-based status quo, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry's spokesman Hikmet Hajiyev told APA on June 7.
Hajiyev commented on the recent statement of Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, who addressing the Armenian Parliament on June 7, claimed that the negotiations on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict cannot be effective without participation of the separatist regime.
Armenian military presence in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and the ongoing occupation define direct international legal responsibility of Armenia as a party to the conflict, the spokesman noted.
“If the Armenian leadership is concerned by the reached agreements remaining on paper, then they must fulfill the requirements of the UN Security Council’s relevant resolutions, which call for an immediate, complete and unconditional withdrawal of the occupying troops from Azerbaijani territories,” Hajiyev said. “We would like to remind the new Armenian leadership that the civil status of the Armenian community of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region has not changed, either. Along with the Azerbaijani community of Nagorno-Karabakh, they continue to be the citizens of Azerbaijan.”
Recent processes once again demonstrate that the Armenian community of Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region is under the captivity of an organized criminal group and mafia structure, the spokesman emphasized.
Hajiyev went on to say that Azerbaijan has more than once openly and unequivocally expressed its position on the negotiation process.
“Azerbaijan is ready to continue talks on the basis of the existing format and agenda with the aim of finding an early solution to the conflict and ensuring sustainable peace and security in the region. The aim of the talks is to ensure the withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories and the return to their native lands of Azerbaijani IDPs subjected to ethnic cleansing,” he said.
Yerevan must understand that holding negotiations with occupant Armenia for over 25 years is Azerbaijan's biggest compromise, Hajiyev added.
Addressing a special parliamentary session on Thursday, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said that the negations on resolving the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict cannot be effective without the participation of the separatist regime.
“Before coming to Armenia Robert Kocharyan was the elected “president” of Karabakh, and Serzh Sargsyan was one of the organizers of the “Nagorno-Karabakh Republic’s” self-defense movement. Therefore, they could have had the mandate of negotiating on behalf of Karabakh. But I can’t do the same. I can’t attribute the right of negotiating on behalf of Karabakh to me even in case of the greatest desire, because there are no legal, political and moral grounds for it. The people of Karabakh do not take part in elections in Armenia, instead they have their own government, and they can be represented only by a representative having the lawful and legitimate grounds of doing so,” Pashinyan said.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 92 times
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity