Azerbaijani president: Restoration of Jojug Marjanli village is a historic event
Today is the day of restoration of the Jojug Marjanli village, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev during his visit to the village and meeting with Ogtay Haziyev’s family members.
The president noted that the restoration of the Jojug Marjanli village is a historic event.
He said that the people living in the village are well aware of its history.
“Now the whole Azerbaijan knows the history of the Jojug Marjanli village. The whole world knows Jojug Marjanli. This village has a special place in Azerbaijan's history. You are well aware that the Jojug Marjanli village was under the Armenian occupation only for a few months. The Armenian occupation forces completely destroyed the village and destroyed all the buildings in a few months," he said.
The president added that the village is a living witness to atrocities committed by Armenians.
He reminded that thanks to the successful military operation ‘Horadiz’, held under the leadership of National Leader Heydar Aliyev in December 1993, more than 20 villages were liberated from the Armenian occupation, including the Jojug Marjanli village, and Horadiz settlement – today’s Horadiz city.
“However, living here was risky, dangerous. Despite this, the Haziyevs lived here. In April of the previous year, when the Armenian military provocation was prevented, the Azerbaijani army conducted a successful counteroffensive operation and liberated thousands of hectares of Azerbaijani land. Thousands of hectares of Aghdere, Fuzuli, Jabrayil districts were liberated and today, the Azerbaijani army controls tens of thousands of hectares of land,” said the president.
The head of state noted that the liberation of Lele Tepe height made it possible to live in safety in Jojug Marjanli. “When I visited the liberated lands and met with servicemen late last year, I asked whether it is possible to live in safety in Jojug Marjanli. They said it is possible.”
The president recalled that in January this year, an appropriate order was signed and funds were allocated from the President’s Reserve Fund.
“The construction work in the village was commenced in March. From March 20 to May 20 – only two months – part of the village was restored. At the first stage, 50 houses, a school and a mosque reminiscent of the historical Shusha mosque were built. A highway was constructed from Horadiz to Jojug Marjanli. Besides, 100 houses, medical institutions will be built in the village and additional measures will be taken to create workplaces there,” he added.
President Aliyev noted that the history of Jojug Marjanli is glorious. “The village that suffered from the occupation is being restored. Azerbaijan liberated one part of its occupied territories. This is a truly glorious history. After village residents return to the village, life will become even more alive here,” he said.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan’s refugee and IDP pain highlighted in the French Senate
- 22.06.2017Moscow says OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement fully reflects its stance
- 22.06.2017MFA spokesman: OSCE MG co-chairs should draw conclusions from public discontent in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017ICRC begins dialogue with parties on Armenian scout captured by Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2017U.S. Department of State: "The United States is deeply concerned over the recent violations of the ceasefire"
- 21.06.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani detainees in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan removes Japanese blogger from ‘black list’
- 21.06.2017Stark reminders of Azerbaijan’s IDP plight come to Brussels
- 21.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 20.06.2017EU envoy expresses concern over situation in South Caucasus
- 20.06.2017Minister: There can’t be an influx of tourists to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Some Muslim countries still provide assistance to Armenia
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes OSCE MG co-chairs for failing to settle Karabakh conflict
- 19.06.2017Co-chairs to brief Minsk Group members on Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia pursues goal of undermining Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement after their visit to region
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Most int’l organizations recognize occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 19.06.2017Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed: German envoy
- 19.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia tries to interfere with OSCE MG co-chairs’ activities
- 19.06.2017Popov expresses regret over recent ceasefire violations on contact line
- 19.06.2017Popov: Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents stand for continuation of peace talks
- 19.06.2017Popov: Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement addressed to both sides
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani official accuses Armenia of continued provocations
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan will never give up principle of territorial integrity
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to start visit to Azerbaijan today
- 18.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Responsibility for escalation of situation in front entirely falls on Armenia
- 17.06.2017Another Armenian soldier killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Two Armenian soldiers wounded in Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.06.2017Three Armenian soldiers violating ceasefire killed
- 16.06.2017IDP plight highlighted for new Westminster Parliament
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining status-quo hinders progress in Karabakh talks
- 16.06.2017Bryza: War is in interests of neither Azerbaijan nor Armenia
- 16.06.2017Ex-US ambassador: Armenia should withdraw from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No progress will be achieved in Karabakh talks until US, Russia come to agreement
- 16.06.2017Minister: Armenia tries to misappropriate cultural monuments in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Minsk Group co-chairs should strive more for just decision to be taken
- 14.06.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: I expect nothing from Minsk Group co-chairs’ upcoming visit to region
- 14.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 15.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2017Russia says it's doing 'everything possible' for compromise to be reached on Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2017Russian, French FMs may discuss Karabakh conflict in Moscow
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Army building is number-one priority for Azerbaijani leadership
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: All occupied territories of Azerbaijan will be liberated
- 14.06.2017NATO official compares situation in Karabakh with USSR-US relations during “cold war”