Conference on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict underway in Tbilisi
A conference, titled “Peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and a new mission of civil society,” kicked off in Tbilisi on Oct. 31.
The conference, co-organized by the Georgian-based International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies and the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform, brought together representatives of civil society, international and religious organizations, politicians and diplomats, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Addressing the event, President of the International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies Guram Markhulia said that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a matter of concern for the entire Caucasus region.
He stressed the importance of establishing dialogue for a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
“Civil society has a great role in this issue. Civil societies of Azerbaijan and Armenia expressed willingness for a dialogue and we hope that this format will be sustainable,” added Markhulia.
Professor of the Baku State University, Doctor of Law Kamil Salimov spoke about the goals of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform.
“Thirty years have passed since the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict began. The OSCE Minsk Group has been operating for 27 years. Any peace talks are welcomed. Civil society, in its turn, should make positive contributions to these negotiations,” he said.
Salimov said that it is time to put an end to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, outlining that "the peaceful, realistic, sustainable resolution of the conflict can only be possible with the participation of civil society".
Historian Artur Aghajanov, who originally comes from Nagorno-Karabakh, said in his speech at the conference that all efforts should be made to reach a solution to the conflict.
"We should not believe that the Minsk Group alone will be able to resolve the conflict. The Group's member countries are dealing with their own domestic problems. Only Azerbaijan and Armenia themselves can resolve the conflict peacefully. The conflict has taken too long and several generations have grown. It's time to end the conflict,” added.
According to him, the Minsk Group has not achieved any visible results in the negotiations. "We urge the Minsk Group to work more activate actively,” said the historian.
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 07.07.2018Armenians set fire in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands again
- 07.07.2018Armenian FM: Meeting with Azerbaijan FM planned for near future
- 06.07.2018Patrushev: Russia supports phased and peaceful settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 06.07.2018Igor Popov: Date of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs’ meeting may be announced soon
- 06.07.2018Baku: Armenia’s attempts to artificially maintain status quo are fraught with serious complications
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani MFA issues statement on anniversary of tragic Alkhanli events
- 04.07.2018Russian State Duma deputy responds to accusations against him
- 04.07.2018Russian lawmaker under attack after recognizing Karabakh as Azerbaijani territory
- 04.07.2018Baku reacts to reports of Armenia deploying internal troops in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani PM calls for release of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 01.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 90 times
- 30.06.2018Azercosmos: Armenians committed arsons in 280ha area in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 30.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.10.2017Azerbaijan hands note to Mexico over MPs’ illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31.10.2017Bosnia and Herzegovina MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform – a step forward
- 31.10.2017Armenian activist: Azerbaijanis, Armenians can coexist peacefully
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support