Conference on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict underway in Tbilisi
A conference, titled “Peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and a new mission of civil society,” kicked off in Tbilisi on Oct. 31.
The conference, co-organized by the Georgian-based International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies and the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform, brought together representatives of civil society, international and religious organizations, politicians and diplomats, an APA correspondent reported from Tbilisi.
Addressing the event, President of the International Center of Caucasus Geohistory and Geopolitical Studies Guram Markhulia said that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is a matter of concern for the entire Caucasus region.
He stressed the importance of establishing dialogue for a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
“Civil society has a great role in this issue. Civil societies of Azerbaijan and Armenia expressed willingness for a dialogue and we hope that this format will be sustainable,” added Markhulia.
Professor of the Baku State University, Doctor of Law Kamil Salimov spoke about the goals of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform.
“Thirty years have passed since the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict began. The OSCE Minsk Group has been operating for 27 years. Any peace talks are welcomed. Civil society, in its turn, should make positive contributions to these negotiations,” he said.
Salimov said that it is time to put an end to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, outlining that "the peaceful, realistic, sustainable resolution of the conflict can only be possible with the participation of civil society".
Historian Artur Aghajanov, who originally comes from Nagorno-Karabakh, said in his speech at the conference that all efforts should be made to reach a solution to the conflict.
"We should not believe that the Minsk Group alone will be able to resolve the conflict. The Group's member countries are dealing with their own domestic problems. Only Azerbaijan and Armenia themselves can resolve the conflict peacefully. The conflict has taken too long and several generations have grown. It's time to end the conflict,” added.
According to him, the Minsk Group has not achieved any visible results in the negotiations. "We urge the Minsk Group to work more activate actively,” said the historian.
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 16.11.2017Baku agrees with proposal to hold meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in Vienna - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Moscow reacts to Matthew Bryza’s statement on possible change in Minsk Group format
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report
- 13.11.2017Meeting of OSCE MG co-chairs, PACE co-rapporteurs on Karabakh conflict postponed
- 13.11.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to meet with Armenian FM in Moscow
- 13.11.2017Nearly 4,600 IDP families in Azerbaijan currently live in homes in disrepair – MP
- 12.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 11.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017U.S. diplomat says status quo in respect of Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’
- 10.11.2017OSCE Permanent Council holds meeting on Karabakh conflict
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan expects OSCE MG to take practical steps to intensify peace negotiations over Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 09.11.2017Contacts in various formats on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict are no exception – Russian Foreign Ministry
- 08.11.2017Armenians attempt to interrupt Karabakh discussions during NATO PA seminar
- 08.11.2017Moscow: OSCE MG co-chairs plan to organize meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs by year-end
- 07.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: To change status quo, occupation of Azerbaijani lands must end
- 07.11.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 07.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta discusses Karabakh conflict with U.S. co-chair of OSCE MG
- 07.11.2017Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents is ‘a positive step’, says U.S. envoy
- 06.11.2017Dennis Sammut: Potential war in Karabakh won’t be like before
- 06.11.2017Turkey's municipal heads visit Jojug Marjanli
- 05.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 04.11.2017Anti-tank grenade blows up killing one and wounding two in Armenian military unit in Nagorno Narakabh
- 03.11.2017Women of Khojaly sends letter to CNN host Bourdain over his illegal visit to Karabakh
- 03.11.2017OSCE chief says ‘important’ to work with Russia to settle conflicts
- 03.11.2017U.S. supports peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict, says ambassador
- 03.11.2017Lavrov: OSCE’s potential should be used in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet OSCE MG co-chairs on Nov. 16
- 02.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "The territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be restored"
- 01.11.2017Azerbaijan sends letter to UN Secretary General on Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017Azerbaijan hands note to Mexico over MPs’ illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 31.10.2017Bosnia and Herzegovina MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform – a step forward
- 31.10.2017Armenian activist: Azerbaijanis, Armenians can coexist peacefully
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform asks Pope Francis for support for Karabakh settlement
- 31.10.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform appeals to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 31.10.2017Peace Platform asks Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents for support