Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was widely discussed at a session, titled “Security Issues in the South Caucasus”, which was held as part of the 5th South Caucasus Security Forum in Tbilisi on May 16, APA’s Georgia bureau reports.
International Crisis Group's Europe and Central Asia Program Director Magdalena Grono said the conflict is a serious threat, noting that diplomatic talks as well as other negotiation formats can be used to bring the conflict sides closer.
"The international community should be more actively involved in settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” Grono said.
With regard to the recent developments in Armenia, Grono noted that the new government creates new opportunities for negotiations on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Benyamin Poghosyan, vice president of Armenia’s National Defense Research University said he rules out a change in the new government’s approach to the negotiations on the conflict resolution.
Then, Anar Valiyev, professor of the Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy said that Azerbaijan has a positive approach on the changes taking place in the Armenian government.
"It is easy for the new government to carry out negotiations on the conflict’s settlement because it has no connection with the previous government,” he added.
- 23.05.2018FM: Armenia to resume Karabakh peace process in near future
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets personal representative of OSCE Chairman-in-Office
- 23.05.2018Russia vows to continue active role in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 23.05.2018ECHR soon to hear case of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia – attorney
- 22.05.2018Baku: Armenia bears int’l legal responsibility for occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 20.05.2018A serviceman of the Azerbaijan Army was killed as a result of another provocation of Armenia
- 20.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 18.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Lachin district by Armenia
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov to discuss Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs
- 14.05.2018FM: Resettlement of Syrian Armenians in occupied Azerbaijani territories ‘unacceptable’
- 14.05.2018Armenia-Azerbaiajn Peace Platform holds meeting
- 13.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 12.05.2018Ali Ahmadov: If Pashinyan does not understand need for fair settlement of conflict, this is beginning of his tragedy
- 12.05.201824 years pass since declaration of ceasefire between Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Tigran Balayan trying to be extra active seeking promotion in new Armenian gov’t
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan slams Pashinyan’s proposal to accept separatist Karabakh regime as party in talks
- 10.05.2018Pashinyan’s statements contradict negotiation principles, says Azerbaijani diplomat
- 10.05.2018Bayram Safarov: Pashinyan will someday regret that he visited Shusha
- 09.05.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: The new Prime Minister of Armenia makes controversial statements about the negotiation process
- 09.05.2018Armenia’s new PM visits occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan allows some foreign media representatives to visit Nagorno-Karabakh
- 08.05.2018Six foreigners attempt to trespass Armenia-Azerbaijan border
- 08.05.2018Pashinyan says ready for talks with Azerbaijan on Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.2018“Serzh Sargsyan's resignation was overdue”
- 08.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh is not disputed territory, Azerbaijan says
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan says Armenia’s position impedes political settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 08.05.201826 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan's Shusha city by Armenia
- 07.05.2018Deputy parliament speaker: Nagorno-Karabakh population would have been better off now had they not revolted against Azerbaijan
- 06.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 04.05.2018Russian MFA comments on possible impact of Armenian political turmoil on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 03.05.2018Crisis Group: Armenia’s political fragility could contribute to escalation of conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 27.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 26.04.2018Moscow hopes for resumption of talks on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 26.04.2018Shahbaz Guliyev taken hostage by Armenia sends video message to his family
- 25.04.2018Turkish president calls for settlement of Karabakh conflict in line with int’l law
- 25.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 24.04.2018Andrew Schofer: U.S. continues to strongly support negotiated settlement to Karabakh conflict
- 24.04.2018DNA samples being taken from family members of those reported missing in Karabakh conflict – State Commission
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan says ready to continue Karabakh talks with sensible political forces in Armenia
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on 26th anniversary of occupation of Lachin by Armenia
- 17.05.2018Baku: It’s time for Armenian MFA to change ‘same old song’
- 17.05.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region next month
- 16.05.2018Armenia’s occupation policy hinders peace in region: Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.05.2018OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs issue statement on Paris meeting
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan reiterates readiness to intensify talks for early settlement of Karabakh conflict - UPDATED