Crisis Group expert: New gov’t in Armenia opens up new opportunities for Karabakh conflict settlement
The Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was widely discussed at a session, titled “Security Issues in the South Caucasus”, which was held as part of the 5th South Caucasus Security Forum in Tbilisi on May 16, APA’s Georgia bureau reports.
International Crisis Group's Europe and Central Asia Program Director Magdalena Grono said the conflict is a serious threat, noting that diplomatic talks as well as other negotiation formats can be used to bring the conflict sides closer.
"The international community should be more actively involved in settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” Grono said.
With regard to the recent developments in Armenia, Grono noted that the new government creates new opportunities for negotiations on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Benyamin Poghosyan, vice president of Armenia’s National Defense Research University said he rules out a change in the new government’s approach to the negotiations on the conflict resolution.
Then, Anar Valiyev, professor of the Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy said that Azerbaijan has a positive approach on the changes taking place in the Armenian government.
"It is easy for the new government to carry out negotiations on the conflict’s settlement because it has no connection with the previous government,” he added.
- 23.07.2018To achieve political settlement of Karabakh conflict, status quo must be changed – Hajiyev
- 23.07.2018Rule of law shall be basis of int’l relations, conflict resolution processes, says Azerbaijan
- 23.07.2018Azerbaijan says efforts will continue to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 23.07.2018Baku: Date of next Azerbaijan-Armenia ministerial meeting to be specified
- 23.07.2018Azerbaijan retains its right to restore its territorial integrity, sovereignty – Foreign Ministry
- 23.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 93 times
- 21.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 82 times
- 19.07.2018Björn Rahm: ICRC regularly visits persons detained in relation to conflict
- 19.07.2018Prince of Jordan visits Jojug Marjanli
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets with personal representative of OSCE Chairperson-in-Office
- 18.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Italy will support Karabakh conflict settlement during its OSCE chairmanship
- 18.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan confident Italy will play active role in resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 16.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 15.07.2018The provocation of the reconnaissance-sabotage group of Armenia was suppressed on the state border - PHOTO
- 15.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 87 times
- 14.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has high hopes for France’s efforts in resolving Karabakh conflict
- 13.07.2018Nikol Pashinyan: No talk on meeting with Azerbaijani president at the moment
- 12.07.2018Hajiyev: Azerbaijan recommends that Armenian leadership finally come to senses, comprehend realities
- 12.07.2018Moscow: Azerbaijan, Armenia fail to decide on increasing number of int’l observers in conflict zone
- 12.07.2018OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement following meeting with Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 12.07.2018Mogherini called for negotiations on Nagorno Karabakh without preconditions
- 12.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: “The meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs lasted about 4 hours”
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani and Armenian FMs meet it Brussels
- 11.07.2018Elmar Mammadyarov meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 11.07.2018ICRC meets with Dilgam Asgarov, Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018UNSC has not adopted resolutions on organization of military tribunals despite Armenia’s war crimes – Baku
- 11.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan's son’s military service in Nagorno-Karabakh has became a political show
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to take all necessary measures to release Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan says supports intensive, substantive talks on Karabakh conflict settlement
- 10.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey always supports Azerbaijan in Karabakh problem
- 10.07.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 10.07.2018OSCE reps meet with deputy head of Aghdam district executive authority
- 10.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 81 times
- 09.07.2018Talks on Karabakh conflict settlement must be continued in existing format: Azerbaijani MFA
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani FM: If Armenia’s new gov’t follow Sargsyan regime’s path, they’ll meet the same fate
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet on July 11 - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 08.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 89 times
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan