Hikmat Hajiyev: Armenia has particular fear of phrase ‘substantive talks’
Q: What would you say about the remarks Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian made at the joint press conference with his Estonian counterpart?
A: It seems that the Armenian Foreign Ministry does not have the foggiest idea of what the Helsinki Final Act and UN Security Council resolutions are or they deliberately distort the Helsinki Final Act and the Charter of the United Nations in a bid to deceive the Armenian people. No one has the power to distort the resolutions of the UN Security Council. The UN Security Council Resolutions 822 (1993), 853 (1993), 874 (1993), 884 (1993), which form the principal basis for the resolution of the conflict, condemn the use of force against Azerbaijan and the occupation of the Azerbaijani territories, reaffirming the country's sovereignty, territorial integrity and the inviolability of its internationally recognized borders. These resolutions emphasize the inadmissibility of any attempt to change internationally recognized borders by use of force. The aforementioned UN Security Council resolutions recognize the Nagorno-Karabakh region as an integral part of Azerbaijan and calls for an immediate, complete and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from Azerbaijan’s occupied territories.
It would be more than enough to simply remind the Armenian foreign minister of the state-level statements made by the OSC Minsk Group co-chairs in Hacqueville on 10 July 2009 and in Muskoka on 26 June 2010. These statements call for the return of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven surrounding districts as the initial phase based on the elements worked out on the basis of the Helsinki Final Act. The first item of the updated Madrid Principles, which presuppose a step-by-step solution to the conflict, also consists of this. The essence of the St. Petersburg meeting and document on the negotiating table also consists of this. Though Armenia is required to withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, the country stills ignores it and does not hesitate to distort the statements made at the level of presidents of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries.
Q: During the Moscow meeting, Armenia’s foreign minister said that there are no substantive talks on existing proposals. What do you think of these remarks?
A: Armenia has particular fear of phrase ‘substantive talks’. Despite the repeated calls of the Minsk Group co-chairs and the UN secretary general for the beginning of substantive talks, the Armenian foreign minister always tries to avoid using this phrase. Thus, substantive talks envisage the change of the status-quo, which the co-chairs consider inappropriate and comprehensive measures, including withdrawal of the Armenian troops from the Azerbaijani territories. Speaking on behalf of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, the Armenian foreign minister has already begun speaking on behalf of the Russian Foreign Ministry. Nalbandian knows better why he went to Moscow on April 26. However, we can say that the proposals on the negotiation table were discussed at the ministers’ meeting in Moscow on that day. It is ridiculous that the Armenian foreign minister said ministers of the three countries prepared at the Moscow meeting a press release which consists of only a few sentences.
Armenia’s Foreign Ministry, with such unserious and useless statements, undermines the negotiation process. Instead, Armenia’s constructive participation in substantive talks could serve to resolve the conflict and ensure sustainable peace in the region.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 27.03.2018Baku: Armenia responsible for vandalism against Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 14.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 14.06.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: I expect nothing from Minsk Group co-chairs’ upcoming visit to region
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Minsk Group co-chairs should strive more for just decision to be taken
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan urges foreign nationals to refrain from participation in int’l event in Karabakh
- 13.06.2017ANAMA: Operations in Jojug Marjanli to be completed by late June
- 13.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s destruction of mosques in occupied Azerbaijani lands is a crime against Muslim world