Idea of creating a second Armenian state is a ‘dangerous and sick logic’ – Azerbaijani president
Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be created in its historical lands, said President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks addressing the opening ceremony of the international conference, titled “2017 – Year of Islamic Solidarity: Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue”, which kicked off in Baku Dec. 21.
President Aliyev said that the idea of creating a second Armenian state is a very ‘harmful, dangerous and sick logic.’
"Today, Azerbaijan, which has been living as an independent state for 26 years, is standing firmly on its own feet. Of course, our main problem is the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. As you know, Armenia has held 20 percent of our internationally recognized territories under occupation for more than 20 years. More than one million people were expelled from these lands, becoming refugees and internally displaced persons. A policy of ethnic cleansing was carried out against our people,” he said.
The Azerbaijani president also spoke about the genocide committed by Armenians in the town of Khojaly.
“The Khojaly genocide claimed the lives of more than 600 innocent civilians, including over 100 women and 60 children,” he noted.
The head of state stressed that the Khojaly genocide has been recognized by more than ten countries.
The president reminded that the United States adopted for resolutions on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“These resolutions demand an immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani lands. But these resolutions remain on paper. Those who adopted these resolutions remain indifferent to this issue. Taking the advantage of it, Armenia, on the other hand, continues its occupation policy,” said President Aliyev.
He continued: “All the buildings have been destroyed in our occupied lands. Our historical and religious monuments, mosques have been destroyed by Armenians. Photos of these destroyed mosques have now been published on the Internet, so everyone can see it. The whole infrastructure has been destroyed. The OSCE has twice sent a fact-finding mission to the occupied lands. Those missions witnessed the same scenery and mentioned them in their reports.”
He noted that the position of Azerbaijani state on the conflict is fully based on international law.
“First of all, Nagorno-Karabakh is Azerbaijan’s ancient, historical land, and on other hand, it is an integral part of Azerbaijan in terms of international law. The entire world knows Nagorno-Karabakh as Azerbaijan’s integral part. In this case, the conflict must be resolved solely on the basis of norms and principles of international law,” he said.
“The UN Security Council resolutions – there are no other superior documents than these documents in the world – must be fully implemented and the territorial integrity of our country must be restored. The Azerbaijani state and the Azerbaijani people will never allow the establishment of second Armenian state on its land,” added President Aliyev.
Speaking about self-determination of peoples, the head of state said that this issue can be resolved within the framework of territorial integrity of countries.
“As I noted, many countries in the world are multinational and multi-religious. The Armenian people decided on its self-determination and they have a state. Azerbaijan will never allow the second Armenian state to be established on historical Azerbaijani lands. This, in fact, is a very harmful, dangerous and sick logic. Armenians live in many countries. If they would desire to enforce their self-determination in all countries of their residence as in Azerbaijan, and resort to aggressive separatism, then we will see what will be the policies of those countries,” added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is as valuable as that of all other countries
- 22.12.2017World’s superpowers not interested in resolving Karabakh problem – ISESCO
- 23.12.2017High time to resolve Karabakh conflict – Turkish envoy
- 20.12.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey supports Azerbaijan’s formula of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.12.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to be held in a European country
- 19.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan