Idea of creating a second Armenian state is a ‘dangerous and sick logic’ – Azerbaijani president
Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be created in its historical lands, said President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks addressing the opening ceremony of the international conference, titled “2017 – Year of Islamic Solidarity: Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue”, which kicked off in Baku Dec. 21.
President Aliyev said that the idea of creating a second Armenian state is a very ‘harmful, dangerous and sick logic.’
"Today, Azerbaijan, which has been living as an independent state for 26 years, is standing firmly on its own feet. Of course, our main problem is the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. As you know, Armenia has held 20 percent of our internationally recognized territories under occupation for more than 20 years. More than one million people were expelled from these lands, becoming refugees and internally displaced persons. A policy of ethnic cleansing was carried out against our people,” he said.
The Azerbaijani president also spoke about the genocide committed by Armenians in the town of Khojaly.
“The Khojaly genocide claimed the lives of more than 600 innocent civilians, including over 100 women and 60 children,” he noted.
The head of state stressed that the Khojaly genocide has been recognized by more than ten countries.
The president reminded that the United States adopted for resolutions on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“These resolutions demand an immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani lands. But these resolutions remain on paper. Those who adopted these resolutions remain indifferent to this issue. Taking the advantage of it, Armenia, on the other hand, continues its occupation policy,” said President Aliyev.
He continued: “All the buildings have been destroyed in our occupied lands. Our historical and religious monuments, mosques have been destroyed by Armenians. Photos of these destroyed mosques have now been published on the Internet, so everyone can see it. The whole infrastructure has been destroyed. The OSCE has twice sent a fact-finding mission to the occupied lands. Those missions witnessed the same scenery and mentioned them in their reports.”
He noted that the position of Azerbaijani state on the conflict is fully based on international law.
“First of all, Nagorno-Karabakh is Azerbaijan’s ancient, historical land, and on other hand, it is an integral part of Azerbaijan in terms of international law. The entire world knows Nagorno-Karabakh as Azerbaijan’s integral part. In this case, the conflict must be resolved solely on the basis of norms and principles of international law,” he said.
“The UN Security Council resolutions – there are no other superior documents than these documents in the world – must be fully implemented and the territorial integrity of our country must be restored. The Azerbaijani state and the Azerbaijani people will never allow the establishment of second Armenian state on its land,” added President Aliyev.
Speaking about self-determination of peoples, the head of state said that this issue can be resolved within the framework of territorial integrity of countries.
“As I noted, many countries in the world are multinational and multi-religious. The Armenian people decided on its self-determination and they have a state. Azerbaijan will never allow the second Armenian state to be established on historical Azerbaijani lands. This, in fact, is a very harmful, dangerous and sick logic. Armenians live in many countries. If they would desire to enforce their self-determination in all countries of their residence as in Azerbaijan, and resort to aggressive separatism, then we will see what will be the policies of those countries,” added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 27.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is as valuable as that of all other countries
- 22.12.2017World’s superpowers not interested in resolving Karabakh problem – ISESCO
- 23.12.2017High time to resolve Karabakh conflict – Turkish envoy
- 20.12.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey supports Azerbaijan’s formula of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.12.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to be held in a European country
- 19.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan