Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s destruction of mosques in occupied Azerbaijani lands is a crime against Muslim world
The destruction by Armenians of mosques in the occupied Azerbaijani territories is a crime against the whole Muslim world, Azerbaijan’ President Ilham Aliyev said on Tuesday.
The president made the remarks during his meeting with ambassadors and heads of diplomatic missions of Muslim countries in Azerbaijan, which was held on the occasion of the holy month of Ramadan.
He noted that Armenia still continues the occupation of part of the Azerbaijani territories by grossly violating the norms of international law and ignoring the four resolutions of the UN Security Council.
President Aliyev also pointed to the destruction by Armenians of historical and religious monuments in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
“Armenians destroyed our historical and religious monuments in the occupied territories, and this fact is confirmed by numerous documents and video materials,” he said.
The head of state stressed that the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be resolved within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan and in accordance with the norms and principles of international law.
"We get the realities about the conflict across at all international organizations. Of course, we convey these realities to Muslim countries as well so that our brothers living in these countries could know the atrocities committed by Armenians in our occupied territories. This brutality was committed against not only Azerbaijan, but the whole Muslim world,” he added.
President Aliyev noted that the mosque recently erected in the liberated village of Jojug Marjanli is comparable to the Shusha Mosque in terms of architectural design.
“Mosques in Shusha, Agdam and other occupied cities have been destroyed by Armenians. This crime is against the entire Muslim world. We want all Muslims in the world to know it,” he said.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan’s refugee and IDP pain highlighted in the French Senate
- 22.06.2017Moscow says OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement fully reflects its stance
- 22.06.2017MFA spokesman: OSCE MG co-chairs should draw conclusions from public discontent in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017ICRC begins dialogue with parties on Armenian scout captured by Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2017U.S. Department of State: "The United States is deeply concerned over the recent violations of the ceasefire"
- 21.06.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani detainees in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan removes Japanese blogger from ‘black list’
- 21.06.2017Stark reminders of Azerbaijan’s IDP plight come to Brussels
- 21.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 20.06.2017EU envoy expresses concern over situation in South Caucasus
- 20.06.2017Minister: There can’t be an influx of tourists to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Some Muslim countries still provide assistance to Armenia
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes OSCE MG co-chairs for failing to settle Karabakh conflict
- 19.06.2017Co-chairs to brief Minsk Group members on Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia pursues goal of undermining Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement after their visit to region
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Most int’l organizations recognize occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 19.06.2017Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed: German envoy
- 19.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia tries to interfere with OSCE MG co-chairs’ activities
- 19.06.2017Popov expresses regret over recent ceasefire violations on contact line
- 19.06.2017Popov: Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents stand for continuation of peace talks
- 19.06.2017Popov: Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement addressed to both sides
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani official accuses Armenia of continued provocations
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan will never give up principle of territorial integrity
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to start visit to Azerbaijan today
- 18.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Responsibility for escalation of situation in front entirely falls on Armenia
- 17.06.2017Another Armenian soldier killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Two Armenian soldiers wounded in Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.06.2017Three Armenian soldiers violating ceasefire killed
- 16.06.2017IDP plight highlighted for new Westminster Parliament
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining status-quo hinders progress in Karabakh talks
- 16.06.2017Bryza: War is in interests of neither Azerbaijan nor Armenia
- 16.06.2017Ex-US ambassador: Armenia should withdraw from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No progress will be achieved in Karabakh talks until US, Russia come to agreement
- 16.06.2017Minister: Armenia tries to misappropriate cultural monuments in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 15.06.2017Russian, French FMs may discuss Karabakh conflict in Moscow
- 15.06.2017Russia says it's doing 'everything possible' for compromise to be reached on Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017ANAMA: Operations in Jojug Marjanli to be completed by late June
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan urges foreign nationals to refrain from participation in int’l event in Karabakh
- 13.06.2017Hikmat Hajiyev: Armenia has particular fear of phrase ‘substantive talks’
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani minister: Unreasonable processes going on around Azykh Cave
- 12.06.2017NATO member countries concerned about growth of armaments in South Caucasus
- 12.06.2017Foreign minister: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be settled based on Azerbaijan’s sovereignty