Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost, President Ilham Aliyev said on Tuesday.
Azerbaijan’s principled stance on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will remain unchanged, Ilham Aliyev said at a solemn ceremony marking the 25th anniversary of the founding of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, APA reported.
“The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be restored within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. There is no other way,” the president said stressing that Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be created on its historical lands.
The head of state noted that the norms of international law must be fully observed, the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council must be implemented, and the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be restored.
“This is a principled position that is based on history and international law, because Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical land of Azerbaijan. The whole world recognizes and respects the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” said Ilham Aliyev.
“This year there was an event, which once again confirmed this. Again, an illegal referendum held in Nagorno-Karabakh was not recognized by the international community. Neighboring countries, the Minsk Group member countries, the European Union and other international organizations did not recognize the results of the referendum. Thus, they once again confirmed that Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” he added.
The president noted that consistent efforts aimed at achieving the recognition of the Khojaly genocide worldwide will further continue.
“Five years ago, at the 20th anniversary of the establishment of our party [YAP], I mentioned that three countries have already officially recognized the Khojaly genocide. In just five years, the number of such countries has exceeded 10. Therefore, a consistent policy will be pursued in this direction as well,” he said.
In parallel, Azerbaijan’s military strength will be increased as well, added President Aliyev.
“We have managed to achieve this to a large extent. According to international ratings, today the Azerbaijani army is among the world’s most powerful armies. If needed, our army will be further supplied with enough funds and equipment without any restrictions,” the president said. “Our military power played and will play its part in the liberation of our lands and restoration of our territorial integrity.”
“The April battles and the liberation of part of our occupied lands, in particular, parts of the Aghdere, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts demonstrated the power of our army to the whole world,” he stressed.
The head of state went on to say that Armenia does not give up attempts to convey to the international community distorted information about the April battles, however, such attempts are extremely ridiculous.
“Suffice it to say that today we have occupied the trenches which at one time they dug in the occupied lands, and from those trenches we are controlling a large territory. The April battles are our glorious military victory which demonstrated the strength of the Azerbaijani people and soldiers. It showed that the Azerbaijani state and people will never reconcile with the occupation, and restore its territorial integrity at any cost,” concluded President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijanis must return to their ancestral lands, Armenians must live there together with them
- 15.03.2018World unwilling to resolve Karabakh problem: Turkey’s ex-FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey, Azerbaijan cooperate on regional issues, counterterrorism – PM
- 15.03.2018Former EU special rep: After me, there’s been no substantial change in Karabakh conflict settlement
- 15.03.2018Russian MFA comments on US visit of Karabakh separatists’ leader
- 15.03.2018Zakharova: "Artsakh Republic" has no representation in Moscow
- 15.03.2018UK supports OSCE Minsk Group efforts to resolve Karabakh conflict - envoy
- 15.03.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’ – Azerbaijani president
- 14.03.2018The next ceasefire monitoring exercise will be conducted on the Line of Contact of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia
- 14.03.2018UN, OSCE and all nations recognize Azerbaijan’s fair position on Nagorno-Karabakh issue – Turkish PM
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan’s damage from Armenian occupation surpasses $818 billion
- 13.03.2018Romania committed to continuous development of partnership with Azerbaijan - MP
- 13.03.2018OSCE PA says there are shortcomings in protracted conflicts
- 12.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 106 times
- 10.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 110 times
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijani Permanent Mission to the OSCE clarifies allegations surfaced in the Armenian media
- 07.03.2018Russian presidential hopeful talks about possible solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 06.03.2018CSTO not to support Karabakh separatists in case of war
- 06.03.2018UNICEF says death of children in ceasefire violations ‘unacceptable’
- 06.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018FM Mammadyarov: Karabakh peace talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 05.03.2018Spanish edition of Los Angeles Times: Armenia has committed genocide against Azerbaijani people in Khojaly
- 04.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 98 times
- 02.03.2018Moscow sees no need for separatist Karabakh regime’s involvement in negotiation process
- 02.03.2018Baku says Nalbandian tries to justify Armenia’s failed foreign policy for internal audience
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijani diplomat responds to Armenian FM’s statement in UN
- 01.03.2018Secretary General: "The UN supports the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group on the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 28.02.2018Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,400 times in February
- 27.02.2018Baku sees no alternative to peaceful settlement of Karabakh conflict – FM
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani FM: Those responsible for Khojaly genocide still enjoy impunity
- 27.02.2018Requiem concert dedicated to Khojaly genocide held in Amsterdam
- 26.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev was interviewed by Rossiya-24 correspondent
- 26.02.2018Russian lawmaker urges world community to condemn Khojaly genocide
- 26.02.2018Film on Khojaly genocide screened on California’s TV channels
- 26.02.2018Turkish Foreign Ministry strongly condemns Khojaly massacre
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report