Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost, President Ilham Aliyev said on Tuesday.
Azerbaijan’s principled stance on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will remain unchanged, Ilham Aliyev said at a solemn ceremony marking the 25th anniversary of the founding of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, APA reported.
“The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be restored within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. There is no other way,” the president said stressing that Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be created on its historical lands.
The head of state noted that the norms of international law must be fully observed, the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council must be implemented, and the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be restored.
“This is a principled position that is based on history and international law, because Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical land of Azerbaijan. The whole world recognizes and respects the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” said Ilham Aliyev.
“This year there was an event, which once again confirmed this. Again, an illegal referendum held in Nagorno-Karabakh was not recognized by the international community. Neighboring countries, the Minsk Group member countries, the European Union and other international organizations did not recognize the results of the referendum. Thus, they once again confirmed that Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” he added.
The president noted that consistent efforts aimed at achieving the recognition of the Khojaly genocide worldwide will further continue.
“Five years ago, at the 20th anniversary of the establishment of our party [YAP], I mentioned that three countries have already officially recognized the Khojaly genocide. In just five years, the number of such countries has exceeded 10. Therefore, a consistent policy will be pursued in this direction as well,” he said.
In parallel, Azerbaijan’s military strength will be increased as well, added President Aliyev.
“We have managed to achieve this to a large extent. According to international ratings, today the Azerbaijani army is among the world’s most powerful armies. If needed, our army will be further supplied with enough funds and equipment without any restrictions,” the president said. “Our military power played and will play its part in the liberation of our lands and restoration of our territorial integrity.”
“The April battles and the liberation of part of our occupied lands, in particular, parts of the Aghdere, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts demonstrated the power of our army to the whole world,” he stressed.
The head of state went on to say that Armenia does not give up attempts to convey to the international community distorted information about the April battles, however, such attempts are extremely ridiculous.
“Suffice it to say that today we have occupied the trenches which at one time they dug in the occupied lands, and from those trenches we are controlling a large territory. The April battles are our glorious military victory which demonstrated the strength of the Azerbaijani people and soldiers. It showed that the Azerbaijani state and people will never reconcile with the occupation, and restore its territorial integrity at any cost,” concluded President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017France does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh: Foreign Ministry
- 22.11.2017Baku reacts to statement Armenian FM voiced at joint press conference with Russian counterpart
- 22.11.2017Erdogan: Only force that can resolve Karabahk conflict is Russia, Putin
- 22.11.2017Landmine explosion kills 3 Armenian soldiers in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan summons French envoy over France visit of Karabakh illegal regime’s “head”
- 21.11.2017EU asked not to show different attitudes towards Karabakh and Catalan problems
- 21.11.2017Russian FM: Experience shows Karabakh talks unlikely to end soon
- 21.11.2017Lavrov: Russia will continue efforts to create conditions for Karabakh conflict settlement
- 21.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017OSCE Secretary General: "We closely monitor the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 20.11.2017Turkish ambassador talks about Erdogan's meeting with Putin
- 20.11.2017UNSC resolutions demanding liberation of Azerbaijani lands under discussion – Russian FM
- 20.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement should be tripled
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: UNSC resolutions to remain in force until implementation
- 20.11.2017Russia will work on peaceful solution acceptable to Karabakh conflict parties – Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Status quo in Karabakh conflict is 'unacceptable and unstable'
- 20.11.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite provocations of Armenia and its patrons, Azerbaijan doesn’t step back from ‘peace course’
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Deadlock in US-Russia ties doesn’t affect cooperation on Karabakh settlement
- 20.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will avenge child victims of Armenian armed provocations
- 20.11.201726 years pass since Armenia shot down military helicopter with Azerbaijani political elite on board
- 19.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 18.11.2017EU Special Representative for South Caucasus to visit Baku
- 18.11.2017Armenia 123 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan in 24 hours
- 17.11.2017Erdogan: "We discussed Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Putin"
- 16.11.2017Armenia continues military exercises in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM: Following Vienna talks, we’ll offer the presidents to meet - INTERVIEW
- 16.11.2017Ambassador Cekuta reacts to reports on alleged U.S. decision to withdraw from OSCE MG chairmanship
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs agree to meet in Vienna next month
- 16.11.2017Baku agrees with proposal to hold meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs in Vienna - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Moscow reacts to Matthew Bryza’s statement on possible change in Minsk Group format
- 13.11.2017Meeting of OSCE MG co-chairs, PACE co-rapporteurs on Karabakh conflict postponed
- 13.11.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to meet with Armenian FM in Moscow
- 13.11.2017Nearly 4,600 IDP families in Azerbaijan currently live in homes in disrepair – MP
- 12.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 122 times
- 11.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017U.S. diplomat says status quo in respect of Karabakh conflict ‘unacceptable’
- 10.11.2017OSCE Permanent Council holds meeting on Karabakh conflict
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan expects OSCE MG to take practical steps to intensify peace negotiations over Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 09.11.2017Contacts in various formats on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict are no exception – Russian Foreign Ministry
- 08.11.2017Armenians attempt to interrupt Karabakh discussions during NATO PA seminar
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report