Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost
Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity at any cost, President Ilham Aliyev said on Tuesday.
Azerbaijan’s principled stance on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will remain unchanged, Ilham Aliyev said at a solemn ceremony marking the 25th anniversary of the founding of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party, APA reported.
“The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be restored within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. There is no other way,” the president said stressing that Azerbaijan will never allow a second Armenian state to be created on its historical lands.
The head of state noted that the norms of international law must be fully observed, the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council must be implemented, and the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan must be restored.
“This is a principled position that is based on history and international law, because Nagorno-Karabakh is a historical land of Azerbaijan. The whole world recognizes and respects the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” said Ilham Aliyev.
“This year there was an event, which once again confirmed this. Again, an illegal referendum held in Nagorno-Karabakh was not recognized by the international community. Neighboring countries, the Minsk Group member countries, the European Union and other international organizations did not recognize the results of the referendum. Thus, they once again confirmed that Nagorno-Karabakh is an integral part of Azerbaijan,” he added.
The president noted that consistent efforts aimed at achieving the recognition of the Khojaly genocide worldwide will further continue.
“Five years ago, at the 20th anniversary of the establishment of our party [YAP], I mentioned that three countries have already officially recognized the Khojaly genocide. In just five years, the number of such countries has exceeded 10. Therefore, a consistent policy will be pursued in this direction as well,” he said.
In parallel, Azerbaijan’s military strength will be increased as well, added President Aliyev.
“We have managed to achieve this to a large extent. According to international ratings, today the Azerbaijani army is among the world’s most powerful armies. If needed, our army will be further supplied with enough funds and equipment without any restrictions,” the president said. “Our military power played and will play its part in the liberation of our lands and restoration of our territorial integrity.”
“The April battles and the liberation of part of our occupied lands, in particular, parts of the Aghdere, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts demonstrated the power of our army to the whole world,” he stressed.
The head of state went on to say that Armenia does not give up attempts to convey to the international community distorted information about the April battles, however, such attempts are extremely ridiculous.
“Suffice it to say that today we have occupied the trenches which at one time they dug in the occupied lands, and from those trenches we are controlling a large territory. The April battles are our glorious military victory which demonstrated the strength of the Azerbaijani people and soldiers. It showed that the Azerbaijani state and people will never reconcile with the occupation, and restore its territorial integrity at any cost,” concluded President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Krakow
- 15.01.2018MFA: Azerbaijan welcomes the statement of Sergey Lavrov on step by step resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 15.01.2018Moscow says step by step approach needed for Karabakh settlement
- 15.01.2018Russian FM: Karabakh conflict can be resolved only by Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 14.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 13.01.2018EU hails Italy’s commitment to continue strengthening OSCE work to address Karabakh conflict through existing format
- 13.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk reappointed as OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative
- 12.01.2018U.S. says hopeful signs from Geneva meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents should be taken into account
- 11.01.2018FM: Italy to support OSCE MG efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 11.01.2018Department of State urges Americans to avoid traveling to Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: World community recognizes Nagorno-Karabakh as integral part of Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018ICRC visits Armenian saboteurs detained in Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenian soldier killed in retaliation by Azerbaijani army
- 07.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 02.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 140 times
- 29.12.2017Armenian parliament vice-speaker shows political illiteracy in every statement – Azerbaijani MFA
- 29.12.2017Date set for next meeting of Sub-Committee on Conflicts between Council of Europe member states
- 28.12.2017Baku: Expansion of Kasprzyk’s office should be conducted in parallel with substantive Karabakh talks
- 28.12.2017Baku says there was revival in Karabakh talks in second half of 2017
- 28.12.2017Baku: Issue of Azerbaijanis held hostage by Armenia discussed with Russia, OSCE and ICRC
- 28.12.201726 years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Khankendi
- 27.12.2017Russia welcomes activation of negotiation process on Karabakh settlement – deputy FM
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijan removes Russian photographer from “black list”
- 25.12.2017Rafael Isakhanian removed as co-chair and member of Armenia-Azerbaijan Civil Peace Platform
- 24.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 139 times
- 23.12.2017Rapprochement of Russia, Iran, Turkey can contribute to resolve Karabakh conflict – Russian political scientist
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani official: EaP summit declaration’s provision on territorial integrity and sovereignty is of great importance
- 23.12.2017High time to resolve Karabakh conflict – Turkish envoy
- 22.12.2017World’s superpowers not interested in resolving Karabakh problem – ISESCO
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity is as valuable as that of all other countries
- 21.12.2017Idea of creating a second Armenian state is a ‘dangerous and sick logic’ – Azerbaijani president
- 20.12.2017Cavusoglu: Turkey supports Azerbaijan’s formula of Karabakh conflict settlement
- 20.12.2017Next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to be held in a European country
- 19.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.12.2017NATO hopes for positive change in Karabakh peace process, Gottemoeller says
- 17.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 119 times
- 16.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.12.2017Turkey: Armenia must be held accountable for crimes in Azerbaijan’s Khojaly
- 15.11.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh must be implemented
- 15.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan wants concrete results in Karabakh talks
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijanis stage rally outside Armenian embassy in Tbilisi, demand release of hostages Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 14.11.2017Armenian FM meets with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 14.11.2017Lavrov: Efforts towards Karabakh conflict settlement to be discussed in Baku and Yerevan
- 14.11.2017Russian FM Lavrov to visit Azerbaijan and Armenia – report