Ilham Aliyev: Destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments by Armenia is unprecedented vandalism
The destruction of Azerbaijan’s historical, religious monuments and mosques by Armenia is an unprecedented act of vandalism, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks on Thursday during a meeting with heads of diplomatic missions and ambassadors of Muslim countries to Azerbaijan on the occasion of month of Ramadan, APA reports.
“Our friendly countries, Muslim countries support Azerbaijan’s right position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. I’m thankful to you for this support,” President Aliyev said.
The head of state noted that all the leading international organizations have adopted decisions and resolutions that require the settlement of the conflict within Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
He also reminded about four resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council.
“The UN General Assembly, the OSCE, the Non-Aligned Movement, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the European Parliament, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, ECO and other organizations have also adopted similar decisions and resolutions that create a legal basis for the conflict resolution. Muslim countries that are members of these international organizations participate in the adoption of these decisions and resolutions, supporting the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” the president said.
The head of state went on to say: “As you know, Azerbaijan’s historical lands, recognized by the international community, are under Armenian occupation for many years. As a result of this occupation, over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and displaced persons. Our cities and villages were destroyed and our mosques were plundered by Armenians. Our historical, religious monuments and mosques were destroyed by Armenians. This is an unprecedented act of vandalism.”
President Aliyev also referred to the Khojaly genocide.
The head of state emphasized that an early settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will bring stability and peace to the region.
“For an early resolution of the conflict, Armenia must, first of all, immediately and unconditionally withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories and implement the relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council, which is known as the highest institution in the world. I’m once again grateful to your countries for your fair position on this issue,” President Aliyev added.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 92 times
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs meet in Minsk
- 22.06.2018Baku supports promotion of ties between Nagorno-Karabakh’s Azerbaijani, Armenian communities – FM
- 21.06.2018Lavrov: Solution won’t be far off if Karabakh conflict sides reach consensus
- 21.06.2018Mogherini: EU supports Minsk Group’s mediation efforts for Karabakh settlement
- 20.06.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan's main goal to liberate its occupied lands
- 20.06.2018Return to Jojug Marjanli further strengthened IDPs’ hope to return to native lands: committee chairman
- 20.06.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict requires early political settlement - EU
- 18.06.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Manvel Grigoryan participated in Khojaly genocide and other war crimes
- 17.06.2018News about the alleged flights of "fighter aircraft" of Armenia over Khankendi – the next information adventurism of the enemy
- 17.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 83 times
- 15.06.2018Zakharova: Creating favorable atmosphere key to resolving Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2018Kremlin: Too early to talk about further Aliyev-Pashinyan meetings
- 15.06.2018Separatist Nagorno-Karabakh regime's ex-minister of defense released
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in near future: OSCE MG co-chairs
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani official calls Armenian president’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh illegal
- 13.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The visit of the Armenian president to the Kalbajar region is a provocation"
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs meet Armenian PM
- 13.06.2018Armenian president visits occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 13.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs arrive in Armenia
- 12.06.2018MFA: Azerbaijan to keep increasing its defense capability as long as Armenia continues occupation policy
- 11.06.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: "The statements of the Armenian FM confirm that Armenia is a party to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict"
- 10.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 09.06.2018MEP: I and my group will never pay illegal visit to Nagorno Karabakh
- 09.06.2018MP: Liberation of occupied lands in Nakhchivan is triumph of Azerbaijani president’s policy
- 09.06.2018Ilham Aliyev: I hope ACRE will adequately assess fact of occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani Army liberated over 11 thousand hectares of land in Nakhchivan
- 08.06.2018OSCE representatives visit Tartar district executive authority
- 07.06.2018Russian FM responds to Armenian PM’s idea that Nagorno-Karabakh should join negotiations as a party
- 07.06.2018Russia says will continue to help sides find solution to Karabakh conflict
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry responds to Armenian PM’s statement
- 07.06.2018Popov: OSCE MG co-chairs’ planned visit to Armenia aims to hold talks with new gov’t
- 07.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "I hope that the new leadership of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous government"
- 06.06.2018Australian Senate expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 05.06.2018OSCE MG co-chairs to visit Armenia on June 13
- 03.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 82 times
- 28.05.2018President: Only way for Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is restoration of Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 28.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's 50 strongest armies
- 27.05.2018Azerbaijani, French FMs discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 27.05.2018French FM: France helping to find a peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 31.05.2018Ilham Aliyev and Nikol Pashinyan can meet in coming weeks – Armenian FM
- 01.06.2018Oettinger: Karabakh conflict settlement ‘impossible’ without Russia
- 01.06.2018Russian Foreign Ministry considers Pashinyan’s statement on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict unconstructive
- 30.05.2018Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to be discussed at OSCE PA session
- 29.05.2018Baku: Armenian soldiers' shooting at Azerbaijani civilians shows inadmissibility of status quo
- 29.05.2018Agricultural machinery in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli hit by multiple bullets during Armenian shelling