Ilham Aliyev: Large part of present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
A large part of the territory of present-day Armenia is the historical Azerbaijani land, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said.
There are numerous books, maps, confirming this, the president said at the nationwide festivities on the occasion of Novruz, the national holiday of the Azerbaijani people, in Baku March 19, APA reports.
“Azerbaijan is an active member of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), while Armenia is left completely out of all regional co-operation formats. This is natural because Armenia is isolated from all issues and does not participate in any regional cooperation format, not because we do not allow it - though I think it is a major factor – but because Armenia is no of interest in political, economic, or transport terms,” the Azerbaijani head of state said.
President Aliyev stressed that Armenia is not independent from the political point of view, and it is a satellite country.
He noted that the decisions made in Armenia concerning the country’s future do not make much sense.
“There is no investment being made in Armenia’s economy, investors are not interested in this. There are several factors involved: first of all, on the one hand, bribery, theft, corruption, on the other hand, mass emigration from Armenia,” the president said.
President Aliyev noted that the investment climate in Armenia is disastrous and market restrictions prevent investment in this country.
“The Armenian people must seriously contemplate and understand that the Armenian leadership's aggressive policy against Azerbaijan has no end. Azerbaijan will restore its territorial integrity anyway. However, Armenia has been completely isolated from regional cooperation processes in the region over the past few years. They have been defeated on the political scene, and all leading international organizations support Azerbaijan's position,” he said.
The Azerbaijani president went on to say: “The UN, its Security Council, the OSCE, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the European Parliament, the PACE and other international organizations recognize the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan and have passed numerous decisions and resolutions demanding the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. This is a political defeat for Armenia. They have been defeated at the diplomatic front.”
Ilham Aliyev also touched upon the so-called “referendum” recently held in Nagorno-Karabakh.
“No countries have recognized the so-called “referendum” in Nagorno-Karabakh. No international organizations have accepted the results of the “referendum”. This once again confirms that Nagorno-Karabakh is an ancient Azerbaijani land and integral part of Azerbaijan,” he said.
“Armenia is a dead-end country in terms of transport policy, and we must openly say that we’ve done it,” he added.
The president also referred to the Azerbaijani army’s brilliant victory over Armenians during the April battles in 2016.
“Armenia is still unable to recover from the defeat, which it faced two years ago on the battlefield. Today, the Azerbaijani flag waves on the once occupied territories of Aghdere, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts. The day will come when our flag will wave in Shusha and Khankendi,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict can be resolved only within the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan, President Aliyev emphasized.
“There is no other way. I’ve repeatedly stated and would like to reiterate that Azerbaijan can never allow a second Armenian state to be established on its historical lands. I’ve repeatedly said that a large part of the territory of today’s Armenia is the historical Azerbaijani land. There are numerous books, maps, confirming this. On those maps, most of the toponyms in the territory of today’s Armenia are of Azerbaijani origin,” he said.
He said historical books point out that at the beginning of the 19th century, the absolute majority of the Irevan Khanate’s population, more precisely 80 percent, was Azerbaijanis.
“This is history, historical reality. Let those, who do not know about this, know this; and most importantly, the Azerbaijani youth should know this. They should know that a big part of the territory of present-day Armenia is the historical land of Azerbaijan. We never forget this and will not forget,” the president added.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 27.03.2018Baku: Armenia responsible for vandalism against Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 20.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 21.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 101 times
- 22.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani PM: Armenia continues its non-constructive position, tries to protract Karabakh conflict
- 16.03.2018FM: Karabakh talks to be intensified after elections in Azerbaijan, Armenia