NATO member countries concerned about growth of armaments in South Caucasus
All NATO member countries are concerned about the growth of armaments in the South Caucasus region, special representative of the NATO Secretary General in the South Caucasus and Central Asia James Appathurai told reporters in Yerevan, APA reports citing Armenian News-news.am.
According to him, this is accompanied by political tension. The two NATO allies – France and U.S. – are co-chairing states of the OSCE Minsk Group, and they are committed to a peaceful settlement of the Karabakh conflict, he said.
NATO's position, he continued, is quite clear: it is necessary to reduce tensions, lower the level of military operations and continue the peace process. The Alliance is closely monitoring the security situation in this region, and periodically receives updated information about this.
“I must say that at present the level of concern among NATO member countries is quite high, as there have been recent clashes, more bellicose statements have been made, and there have been casualties. NATO is not directly involved in the process, and I cannot involve the Alliance in it. Our clear position is to assist the OSCE Minsk Group,” Appathurai added.
NATO will undoubtedly continue to contribute to the steps taken by the two countries and co-chairs towards a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 30.03.2018Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 27.03.2018Baku: Armenia responsible for vandalism against Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani minister: Unreasonable processes going on around Azykh Cave
- 13.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s destruction of mosques in occupied Azerbaijani lands is a crime against Muslim world
- 13.06.2017ANAMA: Operations in Jojug Marjanli to be completed by late June
- 12.06.2017Foreign minister: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be settled based on Azerbaijan’s sovereignty
- 12.06.2017Estonia's FM: There is no military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 12.06.2017Mammadyarov: Time has come to change ‘status quo’