NATO member countries concerned about growth of armaments in South Caucasus
All NATO member countries are concerned about the growth of armaments in the South Caucasus region, special representative of the NATO Secretary General in the South Caucasus and Central Asia James Appathurai told reporters in Yerevan, APA reports citing Armenian News-news.am.
According to him, this is accompanied by political tension. The two NATO allies – France and U.S. – are co-chairing states of the OSCE Minsk Group, and they are committed to a peaceful settlement of the Karabakh conflict, he said.
NATO's position, he continued, is quite clear: it is necessary to reduce tensions, lower the level of military operations and continue the peace process. The Alliance is closely monitoring the security situation in this region, and periodically receives updated information about this.
“I must say that at present the level of concern among NATO member countries is quite high, as there have been recent clashes, more bellicose statements have been made, and there have been casualties. NATO is not directly involved in the process, and I cannot involve the Alliance in it. Our clear position is to assist the OSCE Minsk Group,” Appathurai added.
NATO will undoubtedly continue to contribute to the steps taken by the two countries and co-chairs towards a peaceful settlement of the conflict.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev calls Armenia ‘occupier’ at UN
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says US congressmen’s illegal visit to Nagorno-Karabakh is being investigated
- 20.09.2017EU says it’s closely following Karabakh settlement process
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan says Armenia tries to associate other countries with illegal occupation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan urges OIC countries to limit all forms of co-op with Armenia
- 20.09.2017OIC Contact Group mulls Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan at UN
- 20.09.2017Turkish president: “We need to work harder for the resolution of Nagorno Garabakh” - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs expected to meet on Sept. 23 - UPDATED
- 19.09.2017US co-chair says he hopes meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will create a basis for presidents’ meeting
- 18.09.2017ICRC: Issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev in spotlight
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never allow another Armenian state to be created in its sovereign territory
- 17.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 144 times
- 16.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 148 times
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan’s painful Karabakh problem is also Turkey’s problem – envoy
- 15.09.2017"France always sensitive about Karabakh conflict settlement process"
- 14.09.2017MP: Important to establish dialogue between Azerbaijani, Armenian youth within CIS
- 14.09.2017Farhad Badalbayli: Creation of OSCE Minsk Group was ‘biggest mistake’
- 14.09.2017Russian expert believes Karabakh conflict hinders strengthening of Moscow-Baku co-op
- 13.09.2017Turkish envoy: April battles showed what Azerbaijan is capable of doing
- 10.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 96 times
- 09.09.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: “We offered to hold meeting of religious leaders on the Azerbaijan-Armenia border” - INTERVIEW
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict ‘a major threat’ to regional peace, security
- 08.09.2017Patriarch Kirill: Current situation on Karabakh conflict cannot be considered acceptable
- 08.09.2017Armenians again set fire to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 08.09.2017US to allocate $1.5 mln for demining operations in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 06.09.2017Armenians resort to provocation against Azerbaijan at int’l book fair in Moscow
- 06.09.2017Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform represented in economic forum in Poland
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs adopts Baku statement
- 03.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 01.09.2017Serzh Sargsyan attends inauguration of highway in Azerbaijan’s occupied district.
- 01.09.2017Armenian soldier killed in landmine explosion in Nagorno Karabakh
- 31.08.2017Moscow: No information about next meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs
- 31.08.2017Nothing new in Hoagland’s latest statement: Russian MFA
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of provocation ahead of ministerial meeting on Karabakh settlement
- 31.08.2017FM: Armenian army presence in Azerbaijani territories major impediment to Karabakh conflict settlement
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan says Canadian MP’s illegal Karabakh visit is another provocation of Armenia
- 31.08.2017Twenty-four years pass since occupation of Azerbaijan’s Gubadli district by Armenia
- 30.08.2017ICRC visits Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 30.08.2017New US co-chair of OSCE MG says he would like to see Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet at soonest opportunity
- 30.08.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani minister: Unreasonable processes going on around Azykh Cave
- 13.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s destruction of mosques in occupied Azerbaijani lands is a crime against Muslim world
- 13.06.2017ANAMA: Operations in Jojug Marjanli to be completed by late June
- 12.06.2017Foreign minister: Nagorno-Karabakh conflict must be settled based on Azerbaijan’s sovereignty
- 12.06.2017Estonia's FM: There is no military solution to Karabakh conflict
- 12.06.2017Mammadyarov: Time has come to change ‘status quo’