Ogtay Asadov: Illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought disasters on South Caucasus
Numerous events are held in Azerbaijan in connection with the 100th anniversary of the 1918 March Genocide of Azerbaijanis under a relevant order of the country’s president, said Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ogtay Asadov.
He made the remarks on Friday at a special parliamentary session dedicated to the centenary of the genocide, APA reports.
According to the parliamentary speaker, the presidential order includes all necessary measures for raising increased awareness of the genocide carried out against Azerbaijanis by Dashnaks.
He noted that the Armenian issue came up in the South Caucasus with the Russian Tsardom’s invasion of the North Caucasus in 1828.
“The Tsardom of Russia began to relocate Armenians from Iran and the Ottoman Empire in order to strengthen its hold on the occupied territories. In the late twentieth century, a million Armenians were relocated to the Caucasus,” the speaker said.
Asadov stressed that Armenian nationalists’ illusion of “greater Armenia” has always brought catastrophes on the South Caucasus, resulting in the death of 2 million people.
“Azerbaijanis in Baku, Yerevan, Daralayaz, Anatolia, Tbilisi, Shamakhy and other areas became subject to massacres. The worst of these genocides took place in March 1918. In Baku alone, in excess of 10 million people were killed. As a consequence of the ethnic cleansing policy carried out by Armenians in western Azerbaijan and present-day Armenia, today there is not a single Azerbaijani remaining in those places. National leader Heydar Aliyev paid special attention to the March Genocide of Azerbaijanis and signed an order in this respect,” he said.
Azerbaijan is developing under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, said the parliamentary speaker, adding. “The president has repeatedly stated that Yerevan and Zangazur are the historical Azerbaijani lands. There is no need to prove this. I’m convinced that the occupied territories will be liberated.”
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 97 times
- 20.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Karabakh conflict should be resolved through negotiations, compromises
- 19.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Jojug Marjanli has become symbol of our revival
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Let world know that not only Karabakh but also present-day Armenia is historical Azerbaijani land
- 18.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov appeals to Russian counterpart over anti-Azerbaijani provocation in Izvestia newspaper
- 16.04.2018Russian newspaper Izvestiya commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 13.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Yemeni blogger apologizes for illegal trip to Karabakh, escapes Azerbaijan's "black list"
- 09.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Legal framework created for settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 09.04.2018Ariel Cohen: Sides will eventually understand importance of settling Karabakh conflict on basis of UNSC decisions
- 08.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 86 times
- 06.04.2018Italy’s OSCE Chairmanship says not keen on creating new formats for Karabakh talks
- 06.04.2018OSCE hopes meeting between Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents could soon take place
- 06.04.2018Syria’s UN envoy comments on reports on deployment of terrorists from Syria in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 06.04.2018Another ceasefire violation from Armenia
- 05.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The main reason for the unsettledness of the Karabakh problem is that Armenia does not want to change the status quo"
- 05.04.2018Nothing being done to implement decisions on Karabakh problem – Turkish FM
- 05.04.2018Status quo in Karabakh conflict will never be accepted – FM Mammadyarov
- 05.04.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018Minsk Group format shows co-op possible for sake of European security: OSCE Sec-Gen
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan to present note of protest to France
- 04.04.2018Former Nagorno-Karabakh commandant: ‘All illegal armed groups were disarmed during my time’
- 04.04.2018Washington Times publishes article by Azerbaijani ambassador on 25th anniversary of occupation of Kalbajar
- 04.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.04.2018Russia to grant Armenia interest-free loan for purchase of Iskander missile systems – report
- 03.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Indian gov’t has nothing to do with exhibition organized in Khankendi – embassy
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijani MFA spokesman issues statement on occupation of Kalbajar region and April escalation of 2016
- 28.03.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.03.2018Baku says Armenian FM has special phobia against substantive negotiations
- 27.03.2018Baku: Armenia responsible for vandalism against Azerbaijan’s cultural heritage
- 26.03.2018Minister: Armenia prevents visit of fact-finding missions to region
- 25.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 109 times
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Armenia abuses water as means of ‘ecological terror’
- 22.03.2018Hikmet Hajiyev: Int’l community witnessed Armenia’s invasion policy once again
- 22.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 101 times
- 01.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 105 times
- 02.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,100 times in March
- 29.03.2018Russian FM and OSCE Secretary General to discuss Karabakh conflict
- 29.03.20183 HALO Trust employees killed, 2 injured in landmine explosion in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 29.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan