Ziyafat Asgarov: I expect nothing from Minsk Group co-chairs’ upcoming visit to region
“The OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs are trying to evade from their responsibility. They said they would favor Azerbaijan and Armenian coming to agreement on their own. I expect nothing from the Minsk Group co-chairs’ upcoming visit to the region,” Asgarov said.
The deputy speaker noted that if Azerbaijan and Armenia had to resolve the problem on their own, there would be no need for the OSCE Minsk Group.
“The co-chairs have to recognize Armenia as an invader and highlight that the occupied lands must be freed. Otherwise I expect nothing of the co-chairs,” he added.
Asgarov stressed that the Armenian side has always violated the ceasefire whenever the co-chairs have visited the region.
“They still commit the same provocations and put the blame on Azerbaijan. This is known to both us and the co-chairs. But why the co-chairs do not react to these provocations,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1994.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan’s refugee and IDP pain highlighted in the French Senate
- 22.06.2017Moscow says OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement fully reflects its stance
- 22.06.2017MFA spokesman: OSCE MG co-chairs should draw conclusions from public discontent in Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017ICRC begins dialogue with parties on Armenian scout captured by Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2017U.S. Department of State: "The United States is deeply concerned over the recent violations of the ceasefire"
- 21.06.2017ICRC visits Azerbaijani detainees in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan removes Japanese blogger from ‘black list’
- 21.06.2017Stark reminders of Azerbaijan’s IDP plight come to Brussels
- 21.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 20.06.2017EU envoy expresses concern over situation in South Caucasus
- 20.06.2017Minister: There can’t be an influx of tourists to occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Some Muslim countries still provide assistance to Armenia
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM criticizes OSCE MG co-chairs for failing to settle Karabakh conflict
- 19.06.2017Co-chairs to brief Minsk Group members on Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia pursues goal of undermining Karabakh settlement process
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs issue statement after their visit to region
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Most int’l organizations recognize occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 19.06.2017Status quo in Karabakh conflict must be changed: German envoy
- 19.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Armenia tries to interfere with OSCE MG co-chairs’ activities
- 19.06.2017Popov expresses regret over recent ceasefire violations on contact line
- 19.06.2017Popov: Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents stand for continuation of peace talks
- 19.06.2017Popov: Minsk Group co-chairs’ latest statement addressed to both sides
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani official accuses Armenia of continued provocations
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan will never give up principle of territorial integrity
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets with OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to start visit to Azerbaijan today
- 18.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Responsibility for escalation of situation in front entirely falls on Armenia
- 17.06.2017Another Armenian soldier killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Two Armenian soldiers wounded in Nagorno Karabakh
- 16.06.2017Three Armenian soldiers violating ceasefire killed
- 16.06.2017IDP plight highlighted for new Westminster Parliament
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani FM: Armenia’s policy aimed at maintaining status-quo hinders progress in Karabakh talks
- 16.06.2017Bryza: War is in interests of neither Azerbaijan nor Armenia
- 16.06.2017Ex-US ambassador: Armenia should withdraw from occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 16.06.2017Bryza: No progress will be achieved in Karabakh talks until US, Russia come to agreement
- 16.06.2017Minister: Armenia tries to misappropriate cultural monuments in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 15.06.2017Russian, French FMs may discuss Karabakh conflict in Moscow
- 15.06.2017Russia says it's doing 'everything possible' for compromise to be reached on Karabakh conflict
- 15.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijani deputy PM: Minsk Group co-chairs should strive more for just decision to be taken
- 14.06.2017NATO official compares situation in Karabakh with USSR-US relations during “cold war”
- 14.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: All occupied territories of Azerbaijan will be liberated
- 14.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 13.06.2017Hikmat Hajiyev: Armenia has particular fear of phrase ‘substantive talks’
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan urges foreign nationals to refrain from participation in int’l event in Karabakh