2 people killed in English-speaking region of Cameroon
A couple in the English-speaking region of Cameroon was killed by separatist forces after celebrating the country's national day, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
According to local press reports, the couple was kidnapped and killed by an armed separatist group as they were on their way to see relatives in the village of Ango in the Momo province in the northwestern part of the country.
The couple are said to be a member of the ruling party, the Cameroon People's Democratic Movement (RDPC).
The couple, who ran the only school in the neighborhood, were allegedly murdered for celebrating Cameroon's national day.
Cameroon has been marred by protests for over a year, with residents in English-speaking regions saying they have been marginalized for decades by the central government and the French-speaking majority.
The protesters are calling for a return to federalism or independence of the English-speaking part of Cameroon, which the demonstrators refer to as the "Republic of Ambazonia".
English-speakers frequently complain of exclusion from top civil service jobs and the use of French in government institutions, although the constitution gives both languages official status.
French Cameroon gained its independence from France in 1960. In 1961, a federal state was set up when British Cameroon gained its independence from Great Britain and joined French Cameroon.
The federal state was, however, dissolved in favor of a unitary state in 1972.
Since then Anglophones say they are being marginalized and forced to use French in public institutions and schools, and also use the French-Cameroon legal system in courts.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018At least 8 die of suffocation in truck with migrants in Libya
- 14.07.2018At least 58 injured as train derails in Egypt
- 13.07.2018Explosion sets off fire outside Egypt's Cairo airport, air movement unaffected
- 09.07.2018Ethiopia and Eritrea declare end of war
- 04.07.20187 policemen killed in Nigerian capital
- 01.07.2018270 migrants rescued off Libya coast
- 30.06.2018Three migrants die after boat sinks off Libya’s coast
- 27.06.2018Deputy leader of Libyan government reportedly kidnapped
- 27.06.2018At least 200 migrants rescued off Libya's coast
- 27.06.2018Nigeria fires police chief following weekend killings
- 02.06.2018Egypt's Sisi sworn in for second term with vow to fight terrorism
- 31.05.2018Egypt defense minister receives US delegation in Cairo
- 30.05.2018Ethiopia drops charges against rebel leader
- 26.05.2018Egyptian court orders temporary ban on YouTube
- 25.05.2018Car bomb explosion in Benghazi claims at least 7 lives
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 28.04.2018Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 23.06.2018Morocco, France vow to strengthen partnership
- 24.06.20184 killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 24.06.2018Turkish workers free after 233 days' captivity in Libya
- 05.06.2018Two Somali lawmakers killed in al-Shabaab ambush
- 03.06.201816 injured in protest march ahead of election in Mali
- 02.06.201815 killed in fresh attack in NW Nigeria