Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 184- UPDATED
Death toll of a militant attack that hit a mosque in Arish, North Sinai, Friday rose to 184 people and 125 injured, according to Egypt Today.
A number of militants stormed Al Rawdah mosque in west Arish City during Friday prayers, and detonated an explosive device.
The Ministry of Health said the injured were transported to Bir al-Abed hospital in North Sinai. The mosque was damaged as a result of the bomb.
Eyewitnesses said the militants set fire in cars that belonged to residents and blocked the road in Al Rawdah Village.
Security and medical sources in the attacked area reported that forces halted traffic on Arish-Qantara Road, and deployed ambulance vehicles to transport the injured to the hospital.
Egypt has launched a prolonged anti-terror crackdown few years ago, trying to unroot extremists based in North Sinai. The crackdown has claimed scores of lives of militants whose attacks mainly targeted police and military personnel.
At least 155 people have been killed in a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's northern Sinai Peninsula, according to state media, Al Jazeera reported.
The attack took place in the al-Rawda village, west of el-Arish, shortly after Friday prayers.
Egyptian state media MENA provided the death toll, citing an official security source. It also said that 120 people were wounded in the attack.
Local media reports said that attackers planted explosives and then opened fire on worshippers while the sermon was under way.
Egypt has for years been battling an armed movement in the rugged and thinly populated Sinai Peninsula, which has gained pace since the military overthrew democratically elected president Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in mid-2013.
In 2014, following a suicide bombing that left 31 soldiers killed, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi declared a state of emergency in the peninsula, describing it as a "nesting ground for terrorism and terrorists".
Local media also reported the closure of the Arish-Rafah road, further east.
The attack comes a day before the Rafah border crossing, the main gateway for Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip to the outside world, was due to open for a three-day period.
The border opened briefly earlier this week.
An explosion has occurred at a mosque in the north of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, killing 50 people, APA reported citing Sky News Arabia.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 25.01.2018Nigeria confirms 16 dead in Lassa fever outbreak
- 24.01.2018At least 27 dead in twin Benghazi car bombs
- 23.01.2018Egyptian army arrests former chief of staff over presidential bid
- 23.01.2018Morocco's king appoints five new ministers
- 23.01.2018Former football player sworn in as Liberia's president
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 07.01.2018Gunmen kill 13 in Senegal's Casamance region
- 06.01.2018Sudan closes border with Eritrea
- 06.01.2018Clashes break out near South Sudan capital in truce violation
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 235 - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 305
- 25.11.2017Terrorist act in Egypt committed by ISIL
- 24.11.2017Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police