Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 184- UPDATED
Death toll of a militant attack that hit a mosque in Arish, North Sinai, Friday rose to 184 people and 125 injured, according to Egypt Today.
A number of militants stormed Al Rawdah mosque in west Arish City during Friday prayers, and detonated an explosive device.
The Ministry of Health said the injured were transported to Bir al-Abed hospital in North Sinai. The mosque was damaged as a result of the bomb.
Eyewitnesses said the militants set fire in cars that belonged to residents and blocked the road in Al Rawdah Village.
Security and medical sources in the attacked area reported that forces halted traffic on Arish-Qantara Road, and deployed ambulance vehicles to transport the injured to the hospital.
Egypt has launched a prolonged anti-terror crackdown few years ago, trying to unroot extremists based in North Sinai. The crackdown has claimed scores of lives of militants whose attacks mainly targeted police and military personnel.
At least 155 people have been killed in a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's northern Sinai Peninsula, according to state media, Al Jazeera reported.
The attack took place in the al-Rawda village, west of el-Arish, shortly after Friday prayers.
Egyptian state media MENA provided the death toll, citing an official security source. It also said that 120 people were wounded in the attack.
Local media reports said that attackers planted explosives and then opened fire on worshippers while the sermon was under way.
Egypt has for years been battling an armed movement in the rugged and thinly populated Sinai Peninsula, which has gained pace since the military overthrew democratically elected president Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in mid-2013.
In 2014, following a suicide bombing that left 31 soldiers killed, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi declared a state of emergency in the peninsula, describing it as a "nesting ground for terrorism and terrorists".
Local media also reported the closure of the Arish-Rafah road, further east.
The attack comes a day before the Rafah border crossing, the main gateway for Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip to the outside world, was due to open for a three-day period.
The border opened briefly earlier this week.
An explosion has occurred at a mosque in the north of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, killing 50 people, APA reported citing Sky News Arabia.
Related news releases
- 18.05.2018Congo announces 11 new Ebola cases
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 15.05.2018WHO says 19 dead, 39 infected so far in Congo Ebola outbreak
- 15.05.2018Four Egyptian workers killed by land mine near new capital
- 10.05.2018At least 32 killed as dam bursts on rose farm in Kenya
- 10.05.20181 killed, 2 injured in South Africa mosque attack
- 09.05.2018Al Shabaab blast kills at least 5 in Somali khat market near Mogadishu
- 09.05.2018Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 09.05.2018Rains wreak havoc in Rwanda, 18 killed
- 08.05.2018Nigeria: Bandit attacks death toll rises to 58
- 08.05.2018Al-Shabaab militants kill 9 Kenyan soldiers
- 06.05.2018Sudanese diplomat killed in Central African Republic
- 05.05.2018Libyan coast guards rescue 80 migrants in open water
- 03.05.2018Thirteen trapped underground at South African gold mine
- 03.05.2018Algeria summons Moroccan ambassador
- 01.05.2018Morocco severs ties with Iran
- 01.05.201824 killed in twin suicide blasts in NE Nigeria
- 29.04.2018Suicide attack kills at least 5 in Somalia
- 28.04.2018Suspected jihadists kill more than 40 Tuaregs in Mali
- 28.04.20182 killed, 36 arrested in mosque raid in Uganda
- 27.04.2018Morocco to start full operation of world's largest solar power complex in October
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 24.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 235 - UPDATED
- 25.11.2017Death toll from Sinai mosque explosion hits 305
- 25.11.2017Terrorist act in Egypt committed by ISIL
- 24.11.2017Zimbabwe's new President Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in
- 22.11.2017Zimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
- 22.11.2017At least 30 children killed in Nigeria over brutal interethnic clashes - Police