Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
The death toll from the Egypt train crash has reached 49, according to Xinhua.
Two trains collided in Egypt's coastal city of Alexandria on Friday killing 36 people and injuring more than 100 others, a health ministry spokesman said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The crash at 2:15 p.m. (1215 GMT) near the suburban Khorshid station on the route to Cairo, derailed the engine of one train and two cars of the other, the Egyptian Railway Authority said.
A railroad switching error was the most likely cause of the collision, a security source. He gave no further details.
State newspaper al-Ahram said 36 bodies had arrived at hospital morgues in Alexandria province. Public prosecutor Nabil Sadek ordered an urgent investigation, it said.
A medical official told state TV some wounded people were still stuck in the trains.
Footage on state television showed dozens of people crowding around the damaged train cars, with bodies strewn on the ground.
"The train I was riding was going very quickly," said passenger Moumen Youssef. "I found myself on the floor. When we came out, we found four train cars crushed and a lot of people on the ground."
In 2012, 50 people - mostly children - were killed when a train crashed into a school bus south of Cairo, further inflaming public anger at authorities over Egypt's antiquated transport network.
Related news releases
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 27.07.2017German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 26.07.2017New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 17.06.2017Tunisian protesters end sit-in in Tataouine province
- 15.06.2017At least 20 people being held hostage in Somali capital after suicide attack - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Tunisia extends state of emergency for another 4 months
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue