2 killed in helicopter crash in U.S. state of Virginia
Two people were killed after a helicopter crashed Saturday afternoon seven miles (11 kilometers) southwest of Charlottesville, in the state of Virginia, APA reports quoring Xinhua.
The state police said the National Transportation Safety Board and Virginia State Police are investigating the crash, which reportedly took place in a wooded area.
Earlier, Charlottesville Mayor Michael Signer and hospital officials said at least one person was killed and 19 injured in a car crash in the wake of a violent white nationalist rally on Saturday in the historic college town.
Just before the incident, thousands of white nationalists, neo-Confederates and right-wing protesters, as well as groups that oppose them, clashed during the "Unite the Right" rally at the Emancipation Park in the downtown. Police dispersed the rally after Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe declared the state of emergency Saturday morning.
U.S. President Donald Trump has condemned hatred "on many sides" and "all that hate stands for" in the wake of reports of the violent gathering.
Related news releases
- 18.08.2017Venezuela's new chief prosecutor vows to jail protest leaders
- 17.08.2017White House chief of staff briefs Trump on Barcelona incident
- 17.08.2017At least 13 dead in terror attack in Barcelona - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 17.08.2017Clashes at Venezuelan Prison Kill 37 Inmates, Wound 4
- 17.08.2017At least six killed in suspected gang attack at Guatemala hospital
- 17.08.2017Mike Pence urges four South American nations to cut contacts with North Korea
- 17.08.2017US Black Hawk missing in Hawaii, search underway for crew
- 17.08.2017Trump ends business councils after mass resignations
- 16.08.2017Explosion occurs at plaza Venezuela metro station in Caracas
- 16.08.2017Trump: Both sides to blame in Charlottesville violence
- 16.08.2017Colombia’s FARC to become political party with new name, same acronym
- 16.08.2017U.S. confident of 'peaceable' Venezuelan solution
- 16.08.2017US senator McCain urges Trump to promote free trade as NAFTA talks begin
- 15.08.2017U.S. sanctions hit Russian hopes of a 'Trump bump' for investment
- 15.08.2017Oil prices steady after overnight tumble on dollar strength
- 15.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro seeks to capitalize on Trump's military threat
- 15.08.2017Pence says 'failed state' in Venezuela threatens United States
- 12.08.2017Venezuela defense chief calls Trump threat of intervention 'crazy'
- 12.08.2017Trump: North Korea will regret any acts against US
- 12.08.2017Trump: Military option possible in Venezuela
- 12.08.2017Trump will send envoys to Middle East to discuss peace: official
- 12.08.2017US not interested in talking about back channels with North Korea
- 11.08.2017US state secretary calls for delay of Kurd region poll
- 11.08.2017Trump tweets 'military solutions for North Korea are locked and loaded'
- 11.08.2017Trump thanks Putin for expelling U.S. diplomats, infuriating State Department
- 11.08.2017US could shut Russian consulate over diplomatic ouster
- 11.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro says ready for talks with Trump
- 11.08.2017Trump declares national emergency on opioid abuse
- 11.08.2017Trump escalates warning to North Korea
- 10.08.2017U.S. destroyer challenges China's claims in South China Sea
- 10.08.2017US strongly reacts to Putin's visit to Abkhazia
- 10.08.2017Guam governor says 'no panic' on US pacific island over North Korea's threat
- 10.08.2017Cuban diplomats expelled from US over mystery illness
- 10.08.2017Oil inches higher after data points to declining U.S. inventories
- 09.08.2017Pentagon chief issues stark warning to North Korea
- 09.08.2017US sanctions 22 Mexican individuals, 43 entities tied to drug gang
- 09.08.2017Trump boasts of U.S. nuclear power in warning to North Korea
- 09.08.2017Trump campaign turns over thousands of documents in Russia probe
- 09.08.2017US regulators to probe Qualcomm’s complaints of Apple
- 09.08.2017Venezuela using excessive force, arrests to crush protests: U.N.
- 14.08.2017Mike Pence: Peaceful solution to Venezuela crisis is possible
- 14.08.2017Trump returns to Washington with target on China
- 15.08.2017Trump condemns KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists
- 13.08.2017Emergency declared in the US as clashes erupt at hate rally
- 12.08.2017At least 1 killed, over 30 injured in Charlottesville Far-Right violence
- 12.08.2017Magnitude 5.6 quake kills 1, hurts 2 in Peru