9 dead as biting cold grips US
The arctic air-fueled freeze is affecting all areas of the U.S. mainland except southern California and southern Florida, according to the National Weather Service.
"Coastal low pressure could develop into a powerful nor'easter off the Middle Atlantic coast line by mid week. Depending on the exact track of the storm, accumulating snow, strong winds, and rough surf may be possible," the agency warned on Twitter in an earlier post.
In Chicago, wind chill temperatures on Tuesday could hit 35 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (-37 degrees Celsius).
Temperatures have plummeted to such levels that three thresher sharks have been found frozen to death on the Massachusetts coast.
The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy said the first two sharks it recovered were "likely stranded due to cold shock". The third shark was found "too frozen to attempt a necropsy".
On land, the record-breaking temperatures have contributed to deaths spanning a wide expanse of the U.S., from West Virginia to North Dakota.
ABC News reported that cold weather is suspected of contributing to at least nine deaths across the country. Most recently, a homeless man was found dead by police in St. Louis, Missouri, inside a trash bin after apparently having frozen to death.
Police suspect the cold contributed to the death of a man found near a river in Bismarck, North Dakota, where temperatures hit a low of -27 degrees Fahrenheit (-32 degrees Celsius), The Associated Press reported.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Car plows into crowd in Rio de Janeiro, 15 injured
- 19.01.2018Ex-CIA Director Stansfield Turner dead at 94; served under Carter
- 19.01.2018US House appoves short-term spending bill, avoid shutdown
- 19.01.2018US army tests secure Wi-Fi to increase troop ‘mobility and flexibility’
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 03.01.2018US calls for emergency UN session on Iran protests
- 03.01.2018At least 25 dead in Peru as bus crashes over a cliff
- 03.01.2018Turkey's foreign minister reiterates fight against PKK
- 31.12.2017Ten people die after car crash in southwest Mexico
- 30.12.2017Trump says Russia probe will be fair, but timeline unclear
- 30.12.2017Thousands of Peruvians march against Fujimori pardon