Adverse weather conditions leave 19 dead in U.S.
CBS News has confirmed that at least 19 people have died in the US from the blast of winter weather and accompanying cold temperatures.
More than 100,000 customers lost power in the winter storm that's blanketed the East Coast with heavy snow and hurricane-force winds.
In the New England states, Massachusetts was hit with more than 22,000 outages Thursday afternoon. Scattered power outages were reported in New Hampshire and Rhode Island. Maine reported 4,400 outages.
About 6,300 customers lost power on Long Island on Thursday afternoon, but crews quickly restored more than 2,000 as of early Thursday evening.
Virginia had a peak of 45,000 outages, with about half restored as of early Thursday afternoon. The Carolinas experienced about 30,000 outages at its peak on Wednesday.
Forecasters expect the storm to be followed immediately by a blast of face-stinging cold air that could break records in more than two dozen cities this weekend.
Flights suspended at John F. Kennedy International Airport because of Thursday's massive snowstorm resumed Friday. Flights were suspended at JFK due to strong winds and whiteout conditions.
Air traffic suspensions at LaGuardia Airport have been lifted, but authorities advise passengers to contact their airlines regarding specific flights.
The flight-tracking site FlightAware reports nearly 5,000 canceled flights across the United States. Those flights include more than two-thirds of flights in and out of New York City and Boston airports.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 05.07.2018Shooting in Los Angeles, 3 killed
- 05.07.2018Trump names former Fox News president to Communications Team - White House
- 05.07.2018Extreme heat wave in Canada claims at least 19 lives
- 05.07.2018Bolivian President Morales has emergency surgery for tumor
- 05.07.2018U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 03.07.2018Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 01.07.2018Saudi king said will boost oil output if needed: White House
- 30.06.2018Thousands march for 'Families Belong Together' rallies in US
- 06.01.2018Risks to US oil supply at lowest point since 1970s
- 06.01.2018US says Iran ‘on notice’ at Security Council meeting
- 06.01.2018Airliners collide at Toronto's Pearson Airport, passengers safe
- 05.01.2018Justice Dept launches new Clinton Foundation probe
- 05.01.2018UN Security Council today to hold emergency meeting on Iran
- 05.01.2018US sanctions five entities tied to Iran's weapons program