At least 1 killed, over 30 injured in Charlottesville Far-Right violence
At least one person was killed and over 30 were injured on Saturday in the US city of Charlottesville, Virginia, where violent clashes between far-right nationalists and counter-protesters have been continuing since morning, city authorities said, APA reports quoting BBC.
Earlier in the day, a car ran into a crowd of protesters in the city causing multiple injuries. According to media reports, the police detained the driver.
"1 deceased, 19 injured in crash at 4th and Water streets. Fifteen other injuries reported related to rally downtown," the authorities said on the official Twitter account of Charlottesville city government.
City Mayor Mike Signer expressed condolences over this tragedy.
"I am heartbroken that a life has been lost here. I urge all people of good will — go home," Singer said on Twitter.
The governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency as thousands of white nationalists joined a violent rally held by Unite the Right in Emancipation Park protesting the removal of a statue honoring Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, which glorifies the era of slavery as critics say.
Media reported that up to 6,000 far-right activists including neo-Nazis arrived in Charlottesville to participate in the rally.
Related news releases
- 24.01.2018Venezuelan President Maduro set to run for re-election in 2018 vote
- 23.01.2018UN SC to meet upon Russia’s request over reports on chemical attack in Syria
- 23.01.2018Pentagon: If YPG in Syria moves to Afrin, group will lose US coalition's support - UPDATED
- 23.01.2018Tsunami warnings canceled after magnitude-7.9 earthquake off Alaska
- 23.01.2018Trump ends shutdown signing measure to reopen government through February 8
- 23.01.2018US increases cargo screening for 5 Muslim countries
- 23.01.2018Trump signs spending bill, ending government shutdown
- 23.01.2018US Senate votes to end government shutdown
- 22.01.2018Tillerson says U.S. recognizes Turkey's legitimate right to protect its own citizens from terrorist elements
- 22.01.2018U.S. to send additional 1,000 troops to Afghanistan
- 21.01.2018Military chopper crash in California leaves two dead
- 21.01.2018Federal reserve to deregulate US banking sector via tailored approach
- 21.01.2018Trump's dealmaker image tarnished by U.S. government shutdown
- 20.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov, US’ Tillerson discuss stability in north Syria
- 20.01.2018U.S. government shuts down as lawmakers still searching for a deal
- 20.01.2018Pentagon: Turkey’s Afrin operation will not affect ties
- 20.01.2018Supreme Court to decide legality of Trump travel ban
- 20.01.2018US could soon be world’s largest oil producer
- 20.01.2018Russia: US creating 'bodies of authority' in Syria
- 20.01.2018US: Afrin operation does not serve Turkey's interests
- 20.01.2018Large amounts of foreign currency border crossing prevented
- 19.01.2018Car plows into crowd in Rio de Janeiro, 15 injured
- 19.01.2018Ex-CIA Director Stansfield Turner dead at 94; served under Carter
- 19.01.2018US House appoves short-term spending bill, avoid shutdown
- 19.01.2018US army tests secure Wi-Fi to increase troop ‘mobility and flexibility’
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 13.08.2017Emergency declared in the US as clashes erupt at hate rally
- 13.08.20172 killed in helicopter crash in U.S. state of Virginia
- 14.08.2017Mike Pence: Peaceful solution to Venezuela crisis is possible
- 12.08.2017Magnitude 5.6 quake kills 1, hurts 2 in Peru
- 12.08.2017Venezuela defense chief calls Trump threat of intervention 'crazy'
- 12.08.2017Trump: North Korea will regret any acts against US