Cuba calls Trump speech on island 'grotesque spectacle'
U.S. President Donald Trump's speech on Cuba was a "grotesque spectacle," but the island's government will continue working towards better relations with the majority of Americans who back detente, Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said on Monday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Trump announced a partial rollback of the normalization of relations with Cuba on Friday in Miami, the heartland of Cuban exiles, in a theater named after the leader of the failed U.S.-backed Bay of Pigs invasion of the island in 1961.
"It was a grotesque spectacle straight from the Cold War," Rodriguez said in Vienna, during a tour of European countries, in a news conference broadcast live in Cuba.
Trump's speech before an audience that included people Cuba considers terrorists, included dramatic flourishes like a Cuban- American exile playing the U.S. national anthem on his violin.
The U.S. president stopped short of breaking diplomatic relations with Cuba, restored in 2015 after more than five decades of hostility and leaves many recent agreements between the two countries intact.
However, it will tighten restrictions on Americans traveling to the Caribbean island, hurting the booming Cuban tourism industry and clamp down on U.S. business dealings with Cuba's military.
"It is necessary to wait for the U.S. government to announce regulations that implement these measures before opining on their reach and depth," Rodriguez said.
Related news releases
- 29.06.2017Petya spreads to 65 countries, including US
- 28.06.2017President Trump to attend Paris July 14 celebrations
- 28.06.2017Fed's Yellen expects no new financial crisis in 'our lifetimes'
- 28.06.2017Tillerson to meet UN Chief, Jordanian King at State Department on wednesday
- 28.06.2017Helicopter attacks Venezuela's pro-Maduro Supreme Court
- 28.06.2017Trilateral agreement on Syria helping reduce level of violence — UN envoy
- 28.06.2017University of Texas at Dallas evacuated due to bomb threat
- 27.06.2017Senate postpones planned healthcare vote until after July 4 recess
- 27.06.2017At least 34 injured after New York city subway train derails - Fire Department
- 27.06.2017Children at risk in Syria, Iraq battlegrounds, US says
- 27.06.2017No apparent violations of nuclear agreement by Iran - US Ambassador to UN
- 27.06.2017Twenty-two million Americans would lose health coverage under Senate bill: CBO
- 27.06.2017Oil little changed after three-day gain, supply glut weighs
- 27.06.2017White House spokesman Spicer draws heat off camera
- 27.06.2017U.S. says it will work with travel industry to implement travel ban
- 27.06.2017Trump says Obama 'colluded' on Russia, without giving evidence
- 26.06.2017In victory for Trump, Supreme Court revives Trump travel ban
- 26.06.2017Supreme Court partially reinstates Donald Trump's travel ban
- 25.06.2017Donald Trump congratulates Muslims on Eid al-Fitr holiday marking end of Ramadan
- 25.06.2017Colombian police arrest 8 suspects in connection with Bogota shopping mall blast
- 25.06.2017One dead, one injured in California shooting
- 25.06.2017Clashes between rival criminal gangs in Mexico leaves seven people dead
- 25.06.2017US issues arrest warrants for five former VW Managers in Emissions fraud scandal
- 24.06.2017Plane crashes into empty Florida daycare building; 1 killed
- 24.06.20175.7-magnitude quake hits off Coracora, Peru
- 24.06.2017Four Venezuelan parliament workers hurt in Caracas clashes
- 23.06.2017Trump nominates Robert Wood Johnson as ambassador to UK
- 23.06.2017Canadian leader says Muslims must fight terrorism
- 22.06.2017Trump has no recordings of talks with FBI ex-director Comey
- 22.06.2017Trump says 'we have a great relationship with China' after critical tweet
- 21.06.2017US crude falls to lowest level in 10 months
- 21.06.2017US F-16 catches fire during takeoff in Texas
- 21.06.2017U.S. Attorney General Sessions hires private attorney
- 21.06.2017UN praises Turkey's hospitality towards refugees
- 21.06.2017Canada: Anti-terror law beefs up cyber threat powers
- 21.06.2017U.S. shoots down drone close to Iraqi-Syrian border
- 21.06.2017U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 21.06.2017New Mexico Lab Shutdown Endangers US Nuclear Arsenal
- 20.06.2017U.S. State Department 'mystified' by Gulf states on Qatar
- 17.06.2017U.N. chief set to name new Libya envoy after rare contentious search
- 20.06.2017Otto Warmbier, US student released from North Korea has died
- 20.06.2017Four Mexican federal police killed in ambush in Guerrero
- 20.06.2017Argentina police seize cache of hidden Nazi artifacts
- 18.06.2017Several sailors' bodies found on stricken Navy destroyer
- 18.06.2017Explosion in Bogota shopping center kills at least three, wounds nine
- 18.06.2017U.S. welcomes Syria cease-fire, urges opposition to halt attacks