Cuba to begin constitutional reforms to formalise ''opening-up'
Presidential term limits and the legalisation of same-sex marriage are amongst reforms being proposed by Cuba's national assembly, APA report quoting BBC.
The intention is to constitutionally formalise the island's economic and social opening-up while maintaining the "irrevocable nature of socialism".
Former President Raúl Castro will lead the potential reforms, President Miguel Diaz-Canel has announced.
Mr Díaz-Canel took over from Mr Castro as the country's leader in April.
The Castro brothers, first Fidel and them Raul. ruled the country between 1959 and 2018.
Mr Díaz-Canel is an avowed socialist. In his inaugural address, he declared that there was "no room in Cuba for those who strive for the restoration of capitalism".
The last constitutional reform in 2002 decreed that the socialist character of the political system in Cuba was "irrevocable".
Most ordinary Cubans are keen to see what the parliament will decide on the island's economic and social future.
The BBC's Cuba correspondent, Will Grant, reports that small business owners are hoping for Cuba's movement towards a more mixed economy, while LGBT rights activists are hopeful there will be an acceptance of changes to the concept of marriage as strictly between a man and a woman.
There is no timetable for the constitutional reforms to take place and any reforms are likely to be gradual, our correspondent cautions.
In 2017, US President Donald Trump reimposed certain travel and trade restrictions eased by the Obama administration but did not reverse key diplomatic and commercial ties.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 10.06.2018G7 nations release joint communique
- 09.06.2018Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment': Trump
- 09.06.2018Trump demands end to 'unfair' trade after G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 04.06.2018Guatemala volcano eruption death toll rises 40
- 04.06.2018US: Trump claims 'absolute right' to pardon himself
- 04.06.2018Talks with US' Pompeo 'very successful': Turkish FM
- 03.06.2018US soldiers deployed on Iraqi Sinjar Mountain: Governor
- 02.06.2018US in early discussions for potential meeting between Trump, Putin
- 02.06.2018U.S. vetoes U.N. resolution denouncing violence against Palestinians