De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said during negotiations with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennadiy Gatilov that the recent joint statement on Syria issued by Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump creates a qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement, APA reports qyuoting Sputnik.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennadiy Gatilov said Tuesday that he had a constructive and detailed discussion with UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura about the situation in crisis-torn Syria as well as the recent joint statement issued by Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump.
"We have had quite detailed and constructive negotiations with de Mistura regarding the future steps toward the settlement of the Syrian crisis. It is extremely important that this meeting came almost right after the adoption of the joint statement on Syria by Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump, in which the two leaders advocate the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria, and define further steps to fight against terrorism," Gatilov said.
He pointed out that de Mistura had commended on the joint statement by Putin and Trump.
"In his opinion, this creates a qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement," Gatilov indicated.
On Saturday, Trump and Putin had a brief on-the-go meeting on the second day of the APEC summit in Vietnam, during which they approved a joint statement on Syria. The two parties agreed to continue joint efforts aimed at fighting Daesh until its complete defeat and to achieve the comprehensive settlement of the Syrian conflict within the framework of Geneva peace talks.
Syria has been mired in civil war since 2011, with government forces fighting numerous opposition factions and Islamic extremist groups. The international community has taken a number of steps aimed at settlement of the crisis, including via different formats of talks, in particular, in Geneva and Astana.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Operation desert storm memorial to be built in Washington, DC
- 23.06.2018Trump urges Republican lawmakers to drop immigration bill until election
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history