Hundreds of homes destroyed by volcano lava in Hawaii
Hundreds of homes have been destroyed by lava from the Kilauea volcano overnight in the Big Island of Hawaii, APA reports.
Officials have not released the total number of homes destroyed by lava, but the assessment that "hundreds" more have been claimed by lava comes just a day after the official figure was put at 159, local news reported.
"We don't have an estimate yet, but safe to say that hundreds of homes were lost in Kapoho Beach Lots and Vacationland last night," Janet Snyder, a spokeswoman for Hawaii County, was quoted as saying by Hawaii News Now.
A residence belonging to Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim was among the hundreds of homes covered by lava last night. There were no reports of deaths or injuries in the area because it has already been evacuated.
Vigorous eruption of lava continued from the lower East Rift Zone fissure system in the area of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens. Fissure 8 continued to feed a channel transporting lava to the northeast along Highway 132 and east to the ocean entry in Kapoho Bay. A morning overflight confirmed that lava completely filled Kapoho Bay, extending 0.7 miles from the former coastline, according to the report of Hawaiian Volcano Observatory on Tuesday.
The agency warned that additional ground cracking and outbreaks of lava in the area of the active fissures are possible. Residents downslope of the region of fissures should heed all Hawaii County Civil Defense messages and warnings.
A magnitude 5.6 earthquake hit the summit of Kilauea volcano Tuesday morning but does not pose a tsunami threat to Hawaii, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
Kilauea volcano has been erupting nearly continuously over several weeks. The volcano is one of the youngest and most active volcanoes in the world. It is a shield-type volcano that makes up the southeastern side of the Big Island of Hawaii.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Operation desert storm memorial to be built in Washington, DC
- 23.06.2018Trump urges Republican lawmakers to drop immigration bill until election
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 06.06.2018Trump favors separate trade deals with Canada, Mexico
- 06.06.2018Republican House Speaker says Trump shouldn't pardon himself
- 07.06.2018U.N. says 46 Ethiopians drown as it approached Yemen
- 06.06.2018Freedom flotilla boat visits English port of Brighton
- 06.06.2018US presence in Manbij 'subject to political discussion'
- 05.06.2018Joint roadmap for Manbij is for stabilization: US