Officers shoot and kill gunman who fired at police
Cops in Pennsylvania shot and killed a gunman who fired at police in several locations in Harrisburg, the state capital, APA reports citing Daily Mail.
Authorities said that Ahmed Aminamin El-Mofty, 51, went on a shooting spree that spanned two miles and began at around 4pm Friday near the state's Capitol Building.
During the first incident, El-Mofty allegedly opened fire on a Capitol police officer from inside his own car, hitting the officer's cruiser multiple times. The officer inside was not injured.
About half an hour later, El-Mofty allegedly shot at a Pennsylvania state trooper in her vehicle a few blocks away from the scene of the first shooting. Authorities said that the officer was left 'slightly injured' from the gunfire, WGAL reported.
The spree ended in a shootout between El-Mofty and local and state police, with El-Mofty being fatally shot by officers on scene, authorities said. No officers were injured.
The district attorney's office said that El-Mofty was armed with two handguns, believed to be 9mm weapons.
Authorities were initially unable to approach El-Mofty's body due to the presence of a suspicious device, but the bomb squad determined that the device was not an issue, ABC 27 reported.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Venezuelan refugees in Colombia exceed one million
- 24.04.2018US defense official comments on relations with Russia
- 24.04.2018Terrorism is likely motive behind Toronto van attack: U.S. source
- 24.04.2018Driver kills 10, injures 15 plowing van into Toronto sidewalk crowd
- 24.04.2018France's Macron visits Trump as Iran nuclear deal hangs in balance
- 24.04.2018At least nine dead in Nicaragua protests, U.S. curbs embassy services
- 24.04.2018U.S. allies press Trump to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.04.2018Mattis says he is optimistic North Korea talk will be 'fruitful'
- 22.04.2018One killed, six injured in overnight shooting in San Francisco
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 17.04.2018Top NAFTA officials to meet in Washington Thursday
- 17.04.2018US-led coalition ready to share data with Russia on İSİL in Syria’s Abu Kamal
- 17.04.2018Syria says missiles fired at air base intercepted; Pentagon denies involvement
- 17.04.2018Trump administration delays new sanctions on Russia: official
- 17.04.2018U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- 17.04.2018U.S. bans American companies from selling to Chinese phone maker ZTE
- 16.04.2018U.S. military chiefs to brief Congress on Syria behind closed doors
- 16.04.20187 inmates dead, 17 injured after hours of rioting at South Carolina prison
- 15.04.2018UN chief warns of full-blown military escalation over Syria attacks
- 15.04.2018Pence calls for more action to isolate Venezuela's Maduro
- 14.04.2018UNSC fails to adopt Russia-drafted resolution condemning Syria strike
- 24.12.2017UN chief saddened by loss of life in tropical storm in Philippines
- 26.12.2017Peru president pardons ex-leader Fujimori; foes take to streets
- 26.12.201722 injured in fireworks explosion at Cuban festival on Christmas Eve
- 23.12.2017Venezuela may free activists, expel foreign diplomats
- 23.12.2017Trump exceeded powers by signing Immigration act - US Court of Appeals
- 23.12.2017U.S. says it will provide Ukraine with 'defensive' aid