Peru declares state of emergency in village devastated by landslide
The Peruvian government on Saturday declared a state of emergency for the village of Llusco, in the southern department of Cusco, after a landslide devastates homes, fields and highways, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The decree, signed by President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, comes after intense rains had a devastating effect over the last week in the area, with a landslide destroying over 100 houses, a school and a clinic.
According to the government report, the state of emergency will last 60 days, with the aim of bringing aid to the hundreds of displace.
The president of the Peru Geophysical Institute, Hernando Tavera, said that the landslide was caused by a saturation of water in the earth, with the village being situated at the bottom of a slope in a mountainous area.
Over the past 10 days, said Tavera, over 30 hectares of earth were reported to have also moved, causing widespread alarm among residents.
The Peruvian authorities have announced they will send a team of experts to the disaster area, in order to carry out technical evaluations about the behavior of the earth and tectonic movements.
The Center of Operations for Regional Emergencies also wrote that "there has been no personal damages, however, a number of homes were flattened. There is collective panic."
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bolivia takes Chile to world court over maritime access
- 20.03.2018Trump sends Nowruz greetings and attacks Iranian government
- 20.03.2018Trump still wants summit of Gulf states
- 20.03.2018Russia blocks U.N. Security Council meeting on human rights in Syria
- 20.03.2018Uber halts self-driving cars after pedestrian fatality
- 19.03.2018U.S. blocks use of Venezuela's digital currency - White House
- 19.03.2018Engine failure forces Ivanka, Jared's helicopter to return to airport
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 05.03.2018Collapse of Iran nuclear deal would be 'great loss', IAEA tells Trump
- 05.03.2018Trump may attend opening of Jerusalem embassy
- 06.03.2018Former Trump aide Nunberg says he will not cooperate with Russia probe
- 04.03.2018Trump threatens tax on European cars
- 04.03.2018Central Michigan student used father's gun to kill his parents, police say
- 03.03.2018Man dies after shooting in Toronto