Pompeo: Kim Jong Un has 'indicated to me personally that he is prepared to denuclearize'
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday that Kim Jong Un, the reclusive leader of North Korea, has "indicated to me personally that he is prepared to denuclearize," CNBC reported.
The remarks to reporters came just days ahead of a summit between Kim and President Donald Trump, slated for June 12 in Singapore.
Pompeo, who has met with Kim two times, noted Thursday that "President Trump will not stand for a bad deal," and said the administration would be seeking complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization.
Earlier Thursday, Trump said that he would invite Kim to the United States if the summit is successful.
The path to next week's summit has been tumultuous. Since the topic was first broached March 8 by South Korean diplomats, Trump has canceled the summit, later announcing that it was back on. The North Koreans have also threatened to cancel the summit.
"In the past, there have been months and months of detailed negotiations, and they got nowhere," Pompeo said Thursday, referring to previous negotiations between the United States and North Korea. In contrast, he said, this summit "has to be big and bold."
Siegfried S. Hecker, a professor at Stanford who has toured North Korea's nuclear facilities four times, has argued that it could take 15 years to achieve complete disarmament.
"North Korea will not give up its weapons and its weapons program until its security can be assured," he wrote in a presentation that was first reported by The New York Times. "Such assurance cannot be achieved simply by an American promise or an agreement on paper, it will require a substantial period of coexistence and interdependence."
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Operation desert storm memorial to be built in Washington, DC
- 23.06.2018Trump urges Republican lawmakers to drop immigration bill until election
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 09.06.2018Muhammad Ali family lawyer to Trump: thanks, but no pardon needed
- 09.06.2018U.N. Security Council elects five members for two-year term
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 08.06.2018Facebook admits to massive posting malfunction
- 08.06.2018Trump may invite Kim to US if summit successful
- 07.06.2018NASA exposes curiosity Rover's latest findings from Mars