Trump: "I can't take sanctions off N Korea"
US President Donald Trump announced Thursday that his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore on June 12 is "ready to go". The president promised that the summit would be "more than a photo op", APA reports citing Sputnik.
The US president stressed that it would be "unacceptable" if North Korea does not agree to denuclearize.
"They have to de-nuke. If they don't denuclearize it would not be acceptable. We cannot take sanctions off," Trump said before a working lunch with Japanese President Shinzo Abe at the White House.
Trump said he could put more sanctions on North Korea, but decided not to do it at this time and added that his administration can enforce more punitive measures against Pyongyang in the future.
Speaking to reporters as he welcomed Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to the White House, Trump said he and Abe would discuss trade and issues regarding North Korea.
"The summit is all ready to go. It's going to be much more than a photo op," Trump said, emphasizing that "everything is ready" for the meeting. At the same time, the president once again indicated that everything could still change.
According to the US president, he is "very well" prepared for the summit.
"I don't think I have to prepare very much. It's about attitude," he said.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Operation desert storm memorial to be built in Washington, DC
- 23.06.2018Trump urges Republican lawmakers to drop immigration bill until election
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 07.06.2018Rescue work at Guatemala volcano interrupted, death toll hits 100
- 07.06.2018NASA exposes curiosity Rover's latest findings from Mars
- 08.06.2018Trump may invite Kim to US if summit successful
- 07.06.2018Pompeo says U.S. won't allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons
- 07.06.2018Death toll climbs to 99 in Guatemala volcano eruption
- 07.06.2018U.S. lawmakers press Facebook over Chinese data sharing