Trump slams attack on Saudi Arabia in call with king
President Donald Trump "expressed solidarity" with Saudi Arabia Wednesday following a missile attack targeting the official residence of King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, the White House said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Houthi rebels carried out a missile attack on Riyadh on Tuesday, targeting the capital's al-Yamama royal palace, which houses the king's offices.
The Saudi-led coalition fighting the rebels says it intercepted the missile.
In a readout of Trump's call with Salman, the White House said the attack was "enabled by the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps".
"King Salman updated President Trump on the situation and briefed the President on Saudi Arabia’s plan to alleviate the humanitarian crisis in Yemen," the White House said.
"The leaders discussed the importance of engaging the United Nations to hold Iran accountable for its repeated violations of international law and agreed on the importance of reinvigorating a political process to end the war in Yemen."
The missile fired Tuesday was the second to be fired at Riyadh from the Yemeni territory within the last two months.
On Nov. 4, the Saudi-led coalition announced it had successfully intercepted a Houthi missile fired at Riyadh’s King Khalid International Airport.
Yemen has remained dogged by violence and chaos since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa.
The conflict escalated one year later after Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen's Saudi-backed government.
The Saudi-led coalition has imposed a biting economic blockade on the country, worsening an already dire humanitarian crisis there.
Prior to the conflict, Yemen was already the poorest nation in the Arab world.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Trump says EU officials want to negotiate trade deal in Washington visit
- 19.07.2018Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
- 18.07.2018Trump says Russia no longer targeting US
- 18.07.2018Trump asked eight times to meet Iran president at UN last year
- 18.07.2018Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump
- 18.07.2018Military aircraft crashed in Mexico
- 18.07.2018US Senate Democrats Demand Probe of Putin-Trump Summit
- 18.07.2018Trump says he, Putin discussed North Korea, curbing global nuclear weapons
- 18.07.2018Boeing CEO says Embraer deal offers thrifty suppliers more volume
- 18.07.2018Boy killed during protest in southern Venezuela: police
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 21.12.2017Haley says US will remember UN Jerusalem vote
- 21.12.2017UN did not recognize Jerusalem as Israeli capital - UPDATED
- 22.12.2017Two US men plead guilty to assault in Turkish Embassy Brawl in Washington
- 21.12.2017US companies announce wage hikes following tax bill
- 21.12.2017U.S. sees no evidence to alter Honduras election: U.S. official - UPDATED
- 20.12.2017Trump threatens to cut aid to U.N. members over Jerusalem vote