Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday pledged to promote a truly free and open Indo-Pacific region where nations are strong, independent and prosperous, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Trump made the statement before leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) during the 5th ASEAN-US Summit which is part of the 31st ASEAN Summit and Related Meetings held in the Philippine capital Manila.
“I'm here to advance peace, to promote security and to work with you to achieve a truly free and open Indo-Pacific where we are proud, and we have sovereign nations, and we thrive, and everybody wants to prosper,” he was quoted by GMA News as saying in his opening remarks.
Trump boasted that under his administration, America is “moving ahead really brilliantly" and its gains would benefit the Indo-Pacific region.
“We have the highest stock market we've ever had. We have the lowest unemployment rate in 17 years. The value of stocks has risen to $5.5 trillion and companies are moving into the United States. A lot of companies are moving; they want to be there," said Trump.
“We’re very happy about that, and we think that bodes very well for your region because of the relationship that we have. We want our partners in the region to be strong, independent and prosperous, in control of their own destinies and satellites to no one,” he added.
As 2017 marks the 40th anniversary of the foundation of US-ASEAN cooperation, Trump commended the continuous partnership with the regional bloc.
“This diplomatic partnership advances the security and prosperity of the American people and the people of all Indo-Pacific nations,” he said.
The leaders of ASEAN member-states Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam along with dialogue partners Australia, Canada, China, the European Council, India, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, South Korea, the United States and the United Nations are currently in Manila to attend the ASEAN Summit.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 09.01.2018Fed's Kashkari: Keep interest rates low to boost wages, inflation
- 09.01.2018Pentagon Chief: Iranian people are ‘fed up with’ revolutionary regime
- 09.01.2018US ending temporary residence for 200,000 Salvadorans
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 06.01.2018U.N. meeting on Iran protests called by U.S. criticized at Security Council
- 06.01.2018U.N. Security Council meeting on protests a Trump 'foreign policy blunder': Iran
- 06.01.2018Airliners collide at Toronto's Pearson Airport, passengers safe
- 06.01.2018US says Iran ‘on notice’ at Security Council meeting
- 06.01.2018Risks to US oil supply at lowest point since 1970s
- 05.01.2018Adverse weather conditions leave 19 dead in U.S.
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 12.11.2017Geneva talks should be the only platform for Syrian settlement - State Department