Las Vegas shooting leaves more than 50 dead, over 100 injured - UPDATED
50 people are dead and more than 200 injured after a mass shooting in Las Vegas
Fifty people have died and more than 200 are injured after a gunman opened fire at the Mandalay Bay Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Sunday night in the deadliest mass shooting in US history, APA reported citing Business Insider.
The shooter, named by police as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, opened fire from the 32nd floor of the hotel on a crowd of several thousand people attending a country music festival below. He appears to have had an automatic weapon.
Soon after the shooting, which took place around 10 p.m. local time (PDT), police stormed the building and killed the gunman, who they believe was the only attacker.
In a press conference after the shooting, Joseph Lombardo, sheriff of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, said the death toll is "in excess of 50," revised up from a previous figure of 20. More than 200 people are injured, he said.
He said officers have arrested a woman described as his roomate, Marilou Danley, and also located two vehicles registered in Paddock's name.
At least 20 people were killed and 100 injured in a horrific shooting near the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas Sunday night, police said, APA reported citing ABC News.
The "nonstop gunfire," according to one witness, sent bystanders outside the resort on the Vegas strip ducking for cover and fleeing for their lives. Tourists hid in their hotel rooms and flights headed into the McCarran International Airport airport were held elsewhere.
Bystanders sprang into action, caring for the wounded and at least one described someone dying in their arms.
In the wake of the shooting, the Las Vegas Police Department said that "one suspect is down" and they did not believe there were any more shooters.
At least two people were killed and 24 injured in a mass shooting at a country music festival at the Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas, APA reported citing ABC News.
One suspect was also down, police confirmed in a media briefing held shortly after midnight. They said they do not believe there are any additional shooters at-large.
One Las Vegas hospital reported two victims had died and 24 were injured, including 12 in critical condition.
The Route 91 country music festival was taking place at the Mandalay. Hundreds of people were seen fleeing the area.
The shooting took place at the end of a performance by Jason Aldean. The singer was not injured in the shooting.
Witnesses reported hearing possibly hundreds of shots fired in multiple rapid-succession bursts, believed to be from an automatic weapon. Multiple ambulances were flooding the area to help victims.
There were multiple reports of other active shooters at other hotels on the Strip, but those were not confirmed by authorities and it was not immediately clear if the reports were a result of the mass chaos and confusion in the area.
At least two people were killed and 24 were hospitalised after a shooting at a country music festival in Las Vegas, a local hospital spokeswoman said, and police said one suspect was down, APA reported citing Reuters.
The spokeswoman for the University Medical Center hospital said 14 of the wounded were in a critical condition. All had suffered gunshot wounds, she said.
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 09.02.2018Trump signs deal to end brief government shutdown, increase U.S. spending
- 09.02.2018Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's revised buyout offer, proposes meeting
- 09.02.2018Washington Says Wants to Rebuild 'Complicated' Relations With Russia
- 09.02.2018UN declares new stage in fight against Islamic State
- 02.10.2017Islamic state claims responsibility for Las Vegas shooting
- 02.10.2017Donald Trump sends 'warmest condolences' after Las Vegas shooting
- 03.10.2017US police find 19 weapons in Las Vegas gunman's hotel room
- 02.10.2017Las Vegas shooting suspect identified
- 02.10.2017Las Vegas police search for female roommate of gunman
- 30.09.2017U.S. directly communicating with North Korea, seeks dialogue