U.N. Security Council meeting on protests a Trump 'foreign policy blunder': Iran
A United Nations Security Council meeting that centered on anti-government protests in Iran was another foreign policy blunder of U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration, Iran’s foreign minister wrote on his Twitter account, APA reports quoting Reuters
“The UNSC rebuffed the US’ naked attempt to hijack its mandate ... Another FP (foreign policy) blunder for the Trump administration,” Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted.
Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations Gholamali Khoshroo told a U.N. Security Council meeting on Friday that the United States had abused its power as a permanent member of the Council by calling for a meeting on the turmoil in Iran, in which at least 22 people have been killed and over 1,000 arrested.
Khoshroo, echoing Iran’s official stance, said his government had “hard evidence” that recent protests in Iran were “very clearly directed from abroad”.
U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley said at the meeting that the United States stood “unapologetically with those in Iran who seek freedom for themselves, prosperity for their families, and dignity for their nation”.
“We will not be quiet. No dishonest attempt to call protesters ‘puppets of foreign powers’ will change that. The Iranian people know the truth. And we know the truth,” she said.
“They are acting of their own will, on their own behalf, for their own future. Nothing will stop Americans from standing in solidarity with them. In 2009, the world stood by passively while the hopes of the Iranian people were crushed by their government. In 2018, we will not be silent,” Haley added.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 05.07.2018Shooting in Los Angeles, 3 killed
- 05.07.2018Trump names former Fox News president to Communications Team - White House
- 05.07.2018Extreme heat wave in Canada claims at least 19 lives
- 05.07.2018Bolivian President Morales has emergency surgery for tumor
- 05.07.2018U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 03.07.2018Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 01.07.2018Saudi king said will boost oil output if needed: White House
- 30.06.2018Thousands march for 'Families Belong Together' rallies in US
- 06.01.2018U.N. meeting on Iran protests called by U.S. criticized at Security Council
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 06.01.2018Airliners collide at Toronto's Pearson Airport, passengers safe
- 06.01.2018US says Iran ‘on notice’ at Security Council meeting
- 06.01.2018Risks to US oil supply at lowest point since 1970s