U.N. Security Council meeting on protests a Trump 'foreign policy blunder': Iran
A United Nations Security Council meeting that centered on anti-government protests in Iran was another foreign policy blunder of U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration, Iran’s foreign minister wrote on his Twitter account, APA reports quoting Reuters
“The UNSC rebuffed the US’ naked attempt to hijack its mandate ... Another FP (foreign policy) blunder for the Trump administration,” Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted.
Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations Gholamali Khoshroo told a U.N. Security Council meeting on Friday that the United States had abused its power as a permanent member of the Council by calling for a meeting on the turmoil in Iran, in which at least 22 people have been killed and over 1,000 arrested.
Khoshroo, echoing Iran’s official stance, said his government had “hard evidence” that recent protests in Iran were “very clearly directed from abroad”.
U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley said at the meeting that the United States stood “unapologetically with those in Iran who seek freedom for themselves, prosperity for their families, and dignity for their nation”.
“We will not be quiet. No dishonest attempt to call protesters ‘puppets of foreign powers’ will change that. The Iranian people know the truth. And we know the truth,” she said.
“They are acting of their own will, on their own behalf, for their own future. Nothing will stop Americans from standing in solidarity with them. In 2009, the world stood by passively while the hopes of the Iranian people were crushed by their government. In 2018, we will not be silent,” Haley added.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Military chopper crash in California leaves two dead
- 21.01.2018Federal reserve to deregulate US banking sector via tailored approach
- 21.01.2018Trump's dealmaker image tarnished by U.S. government shutdown
- 20.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov, US’ Tillerson discuss stability in north Syria
- 20.01.2018U.S. government shuts down as lawmakers still searching for a deal
- 20.01.2018Pentagon: Turkey’s Afrin operation will not affect ties
- 20.01.2018Supreme Court to decide legality of Trump travel ban
- 20.01.2018US could soon be world’s largest oil producer
- 20.01.2018Russia: US creating 'bodies of authority' in Syria
- 20.01.2018US: Afrin operation does not serve Turkey's interests
- 20.01.2018Large amounts of foreign currency border crossing prevented
- 19.01.2018Car plows into crowd in Rio de Janeiro, 15 injured
- 19.01.2018Ex-CIA Director Stansfield Turner dead at 94; served under Carter
- 19.01.2018US House appoves short-term spending bill, avoid shutdown
- 19.01.2018US army tests secure Wi-Fi to increase troop ‘mobility and flexibility’
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 06.01.2018U.N. meeting on Iran protests called by U.S. criticized at Security Council
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 06.01.2018Airliners collide at Toronto's Pearson Airport, passengers safe
- 06.01.2018US says Iran ‘on notice’ at Security Council meeting
- 06.01.2018Risks to US oil supply at lowest point since 1970s