UN secretary general ‘deeply regrets’ US pulling out of UNESCO
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres deeply regrets the US withdrawal from the UN"s cultural organization UNESCO, given the major role it has played in it, Deputy Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General Farhan Haq told TASS on Thursday, APA reports quoting ITAR-TASS.
"Secretary General deeply regrets the US withdrawal, in light of the major role that the US has played in UNESCO since its founding," he said.
Earlier on Thursday, the US notified UNESCO that it is withdrawing its membership of the organization.
"On October 12, 2017, the Department of State notified UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova of the US decision to withdraw from the organization and to seek to establish a permanent observer mission to UNESCO," State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a statement.
The decision will take effect on December 31, 2018, and the US will remain a full member of the UN cultural organization until that time.
Nauert stressed "this decision was not taken lightly, and reflects US concerns with mounting arrears at UNESCO, the need for fundamental reform in the organization, and continuing anti-Israel bias at UNESCO."
The US showed its desire to "remain engaged with UNESCO as a non-member observer state." Washington plans to "contribute US views, perspectives and expertise on some of the important issues undertaken by the organization, including the protection of world heritage, advocating for press freedoms, and promoting scientific collaboration and education."
In December 2016, the Washington Post reported that US Congress considered the idea of withdrawing from such organizations as the UN and UNESCO after the Security Council passed a resolution calling on Israel to immediately halt its settlement activity on the occupied Palestinian territories.
In 2011, the US refused to take part in financing UNESCO after Palestine joined it as a full-fledged member. Later Israel followed suit. As a result, the international organization lost 22% of its financing.
Several countries, including the UK and France expressed regrets over the move earlier on Thursday.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017Mayor: Explosion at Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan was attempted terror attack
- 11.12.2017New York 'bomb' prematurely exploded at Manhattan subway platform - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Trump senior aide Dina Powell to resign early next year: White House
- 08.12.2017Trump: I fulfilled my campaign promise
- 08.12.2017US Congress passes spending bill to avoid government shutdown
- 08.12.2017Ex-South Carolina cop sentenced to 20 years in US
- 08.12.2017Judge orders arrest of former Argentine president
- 08.12.201741 students suffer minor injuries after 3 school buses crash in Kentucky
- 07.12.20173 dead, 15 injured in New Mexico high school shooting
- 07.12.2017B-1B bomber joins U.S.-South Korea drills as tensions escalate
- 07.12.2017Trump urges Saudi Arabia to lift Yemen blockade
- 07.12.2017Wildfires rage across California as thousands flee to safety
- 06.12.2017Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital
- 06.12.2017Trump to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital today
- 06.12.2017Paraguay Congress legalizes planting of medical marijuana
- 05.12.20171 dead, thousands threatened by California wildfire
- 05.12.2017US: Supreme Court allows full enforcement of travel ban
- 03.12.2017Arming PKK/YPG to stop per Trump, Erdogan talk: Mattis
- 03.12.2017Trump says Flynn's actions during presidential transition were lawful
- 03.12.2017Two dead as Honduran army enforces curfew while vote count stalls
- 03.12.2017US Senate passes largest tax overhaul in 31 years
- 02.12.2017U.N. council to meet on North Korea rights abuses, nuclear program in December
- 02.12.2017Trump, on Twitter, says Tillerson will remain as top U.S. diplomat
- 02.12.2017One dead, scores hurt in growing protests over delayed Honduran vote count
- 01.12.2017Nigeria: 4 policemen killed in raid on Fulani area
- 01.12.2017US: Flynn pleads guilty to lying to FBI
- 01.12.2017Flynn prepared to testify Trump directed him to contact Russians
- 01.12.2017FETO suspect at US Consulate gives additional testimony
- 01.12.2017U.S. military to indefinitely delay ban on cluster bombs
- 01.12.2017Honduran protesters, police clash in escalating election crisis
- 30.11.2017White House reportedly plans to sack Tillerson
- 30.11.2017Ex-Twitter worker claims responsibility for Trump's account shutdown
- 30.11.2017US: North Korea will be utterly destroyed, if war comes
- 30.11.2017Trump vows more North Korea sanctions
- 29.11.2017US plans to divest heavy weapons from PKK/PYD in Syria
- 29.11.2017UN Security Council to hold emergency session over N.Korea missile launch
- 29.11.2017Military helicopter crashes in southern Mexico
- 29.11.2017West offers Turkey more than Iran, Russia: Tillerson
- 29.11.2017Canadian students offering hijab kits to victims
- 28.11.2017Trump does not see solution as gov’t shutdown looms
- 12.10.2017Russian MoD delegation traveling to UN Headquarters denied US entry visas
- 13.10.2017Officers killed, schools on lockdown after North Carolina prison break
- 13.10.2017US ready to return flags to Russia - State Department official
- 12.10.2017Trump signs executive order changing affordable Care Act Healthcare Insurance rules
- 12.10.2017U.S. withdraws from UNESCO
- 12.10.2017At least 23 dead, hundreds missing as winds fan California wildfires