US agrees to sell fighter jets to Nigeria
The U.S. on Wednesday agreed to sell 12 fighter jets to Nigeria to assist its counterinsurgency operations in the northeast, where Boko Haram militants continue to operate, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria Stuart Symington presented a letter of offer and acceptance (LOA) to the Chief of Air Staff Sadique Abubakar at Air Force headquarters in Abuja confirming the sale of the A-29 Super Tucano Attack Aircraft, Abubakar said in a statement.
Nigeria’s stability is strategic to the security of the West African sub-region and Washington is committed to helping Abuja decimate Boko Haram and other security threats, Symington said while presenting the LOA. He added the fighter jets would strengthen the capacity of the air force and the U.S. would help with the timely supply of aircraft spares.
“The ambassador also indicated the readiness of U.S. officials to work with the NAF [Nigerian Air Force] officials to facilitate the early delivery of the aircraft once payment has been made. In that regard, officials of both the U.S. and the NAF will be meeting in early January to jointly study the LOA prior to subsequent endorsements by both parties,” the statement added.
The LOA will be signed and payments will be made before Feb. 20, 2018 to ensure production of the aircraft has begun, said a local military spokesperson.
The spokesman said Abubakar thanked the ambassador for helping see the deal through.
It follows years of Washington's refusal to sell arms to Abuja due to alleged human rights abuses by local security forces.
Nigeria has been battling an insurgency by Boko Haram for nine years in its northeast, where millions have been displaced and tens of thousands killed, although the militants' network is thought to have been degraded.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 05.07.2018Shooting in Los Angeles, 3 killed
- 05.07.2018Trump names former Fox News president to Communications Team - White House
- 05.07.2018Extreme heat wave in Canada claims at least 19 lives
- 05.07.2018Bolivian President Morales has emergency surgery for tumor
- 05.07.2018U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 03.07.2018Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 01.07.2018Saudi king said will boost oil output if needed: White House
- 30.06.2018Thousands march for 'Families Belong Together' rallies in US
- 28.12.2017US: Power outage at Disneyland shuts attractions
- 29.12.2017Brutal cold spell sets record lows across the US
- 29.12.2017US condemns 'barbaric' suicide attack in Afghan capital
- 28.12.2017Explosion hits Argentina's grains hub Rosario: export chamber
- 28.12.2017US, Russia agree to peacefully solve North Korea crisis
- 27.12.2017General Assembly approves $5.4 billion UN budget for next two years