US ‘committed’ to restarting Mideast talks: Jordan king
Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday said there was “a commitment” by the U.S. administration to restart the stalled Middle East peace process in the months ahead, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
King Abdullah made the assertion at a meeting with Jordanian Parliament Speaker Atef al-Tarawneh and the heads of various parliamentary blocs, according to a statement released by Jordan’s Royal Court.
Earlier peace talks between the Palestinians and Israel broke down in 2014 over the latter’s refusal to release a number of detained Palestinians despite earlier pledges to do so.
All subsequent attempts to revive negotiations have failed, due mainly to Israel's insistence on building Jewish-only settlement blocs on Palestinian land in the occupied West Bank.
In regard to the crisis in neighboring Syria, the Jordanian monarch stressed the importance of maintaining a cease-fire in southwestern Syria, which, he said, had come as a result of “Jordanian efforts to bring the relevant powers to the negotiating table”.
At a July meeting in Amman, the U.S., Russia and Jordan threw their support behind a cease-fire -- which still remains in effect -- in Syria’s southwestern Daraa province.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 12.10.2017Trump says could envision trade deal with Canada without Mexico
- 12.10.2017US: Fed officials split on interest rate increase
- 12.10.2017US energy agency revises up oil price forecast
- 12.10.2017Trump denies seeking nearly tenfold increase in U.S. nuclear arsenal
- 11.10.2017At least 13 killed in prison riot in northern Mexico
- 11.10.2017US: Turkey visa decision a 'coordinated effort'