US Intelligence chiefs urge Congress to reauthorize FISA
The statement was issued by Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, US Attorney General Jeff Sessions, CIA Director Mike Pompeo, FBI Director Christopher Wray and National Security Agency (NSA) Director Michael Rogers, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"Reauthorizing [FISA] Section 702 before it expires is vital to keeping the nation safe," the statement read. "Let us be clear: if Congress fails to act, vital intelligence collection on international terrorists and other foreign adversaries will be lost. The country will be less secure."
The statement pressed Congress to reauthorize the provision before it terminates on December 31. It also suggested that short-term extensions of FISA Section 702 are not in the nation's best interest as they create uncertainty in planning and operations.
Section 702 refers to a provision in FISA that allows US intelligence to spy on foreigners, using electronic intercepts and other means.
Privacy advocates and critics in Congress claim Section 702 has been used to circumvent laws that prevent spying on US citizens and residents without a court order.
The joint statement denied charges of Section 702 abuse, saying that the US Intelligence Community employs the provision with the privacy and civil liberties of American citizens in mind. They also noted that courts have found the provision constitutional in cases where the measure has been challenged.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018One killed, six injured in overnight shooting in San Francisco
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 17.04.2018Top NAFTA officials to meet in Washington Thursday
- 17.04.2018US-led coalition ready to share data with Russia on İSİL in Syria’s Abu Kamal
- 17.04.2018Syria says missiles fired at air base intercepted; Pentagon denies involvement
- 17.04.2018Trump administration delays new sanctions on Russia: official
- 17.04.2018U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- 17.04.2018U.S. bans American companies from selling to Chinese phone maker ZTE
- 16.04.2018U.S. military chiefs to brief Congress on Syria behind closed doors
- 16.04.20187 inmates dead, 17 injured after hours of rioting at South Carolina prison
- 15.04.2018UN chief warns of full-blown military escalation over Syria attacks
- 15.04.2018Pence calls for more action to isolate Venezuela's Maduro
- 14.04.2018UNSC fails to adopt Russia-drafted resolution condemning Syria strike
- 14.04.2018NATO calls on Damascus allies to exercise responsibility after US-Led attack
- 14.04.2018U.S. strikes cripple Syria's chemical weapons ability: Pentagon
- 14.04.2018Pentagon says strikes "successfully hit every target" in Syria
- 14.04.2018Donald Trump: Mission accomplished
- 14.04.2018US says it didn’t give Russia any advance warning about targets hit in Syria strikes
- 14.04.2018US has proof Syrian regime behind gas attack: Nauert
- 14.04.2018U.S., Britain, France launch air strikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Trump, Abe to focus on North Korea in Florida talks: U.S. official
- 22.12.2017Pence visits Afghanistan, says U.S. will 'see this through'
- 22.12.2017US Congress passes stopgap bill to keep government working
- 23.12.2017US Military Issues Alert After North Korean Propaganda Leaflets Found on Bases
- 22.12.2017Two US men plead guilty to assault in Turkish Embassy Brawl in Washington
- 21.12.2017UN did not recognize Jerusalem as Israeli capital - UPDATED
- 21.12.2017Haley says US will remember UN Jerusalem vote