US jury convicts Turkish banker of helping Iran evade sanctions
After a four week trial, a US jury found a Turkish banker guilty of helping Iran evade US sanctions, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
In a Manhattan federal court, Mehmet Hakan Atilla, an executive at Turkey's state-owned Halkbank, was convicted on five counts, including bank fraud and conspiracy charges but acquitted of one count of money laundering. The verdict was issued on the fourth day of deliberations.
Atilla was accused of conspiring with gold trader Reza Zarrab to help Iran escape sanctions through fraudulent gold and food transactions, Reuters reported.
On the witness stand, Zarrab admitted that the conspiracy was carried out with the blessing of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and included bribes to Turkish government officials. Erdogan has publically claimed that the case is a political attack against his government.
Although US prosecutors have criminally charged nine people, only Zarrab and Atilla have been arrested by US authorities so far. Zarrab, who pleaded guilty, testified against Atilla.
"Foreign banks and bankers have a choice: you can choose willfully to help Iran and other sanctioned nations evade US law, or you can choose to be part of the international banking community transacting in US dollars," Joon Kim, the US attorney in Manhattan, said in a statement following the verdict. "But you can't do both."
Huseyin Korkmaz, a former Turkish police officer who looked into Zarrab's business in 2012 and 2013, also testified. Korkmaz claims he was sent to prison in Turkey in retaliation for his investigation and fled to the US with evidence.
Last week, Turkish Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul sent a letter to US Attorney General Jeff Sessions demanding that Korkmaz be sent back to Turkey because he is "a fugitive, a terror suspect facing serious allegations."
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Military chopper crash in California leaves two dead
- 21.01.2018Federal reserve to deregulate US banking sector via tailored approach
- 21.01.2018Trump's dealmaker image tarnished by U.S. government shutdown
- 20.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov, US’ Tillerson discuss stability in north Syria
- 20.01.2018U.S. government shuts down as lawmakers still searching for a deal
- 20.01.2018Pentagon: Turkey’s Afrin operation will not affect ties
- 20.01.2018Supreme Court to decide legality of Trump travel ban
- 20.01.2018US could soon be world’s largest oil producer
- 20.01.2018Russia: US creating 'bodies of authority' in Syria
- 20.01.2018US: Afrin operation does not serve Turkey's interests
- 20.01.2018Large amounts of foreign currency border crossing prevented
- 19.01.2018Car plows into crowd in Rio de Janeiro, 15 injured
- 19.01.2018Ex-CIA Director Stansfield Turner dead at 94; served under Carter
- 19.01.2018US House appoves short-term spending bill, avoid shutdown
- 19.01.2018US army tests secure Wi-Fi to increase troop ‘mobility and flexibility’
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 04.01.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon agree not to hold military drills during Olympics
- 04.01.2018New York governor declares state of emergency due to powerful snowstorm
- 04.01.2018US has enough authority to hold Iran accountable for crackdown on protests - DoS
- 04.01.2018Death toll from Peru bus crash rises to 48 : emergency services
- 03.01.2018U.S. threatens to withhold aid cash to Palestinians
- 03.01.2018Peruvian bus crash death toll mounts to 48 - UPDATED