US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
Vice President Mike Pence and second lady Karen Pence will lead a presidential delegation to next month's Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, the White House confirmed Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In addition to attending the opening ceremony on Feb. 9, Pence will travel to Seoul, the South Korean capital, and Tokyo for meetings centered on security in the Korean peninsula, the executive mansion said in a statement.
“The Vice President will reaffirm to the leaders of Japan and South Korea the United States' unwavering commitment to our allies and to deter and defend against the North Korean threat,” said Jarrod Agen, Pence's deputy chief of staff.
Pence will also travel to Alaska to review ballistic missile facilities.
North Korea said earlier this week it would send athletes and other representatives to next month’s Winter Games, having boycotted the 1988 Summer Games in Seoul.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in affirmed Wednesday he has “no plans” to ease sanctions against North Korea until Pyongyang decides to denuclearize.
The comments came one day after the first formal inter-Korean talks in more than two years.
“Now the dialogue with North Korea has begun, but because the North Korean nuclear issue has not been resolved, South Korea will continue to keep pace with the pressure and sanctions by the international community,” Moon told reporters according to the Yonhap News Agency.
South Korea’s president added that improving inter-Korean ties is dependent on the North being willing to abandon its controversial nuclear weapons program.
Pyongyang’s sixth-ever nuclear test last year and a series of missile launches incurred bolstered global sanctions.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Military chopper crash in California leaves two dead
- 21.01.2018Federal reserve to deregulate US banking sector via tailored approach
- 21.01.2018Trump's dealmaker image tarnished by U.S. government shutdown
- 20.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov, US’ Tillerson discuss stability in north Syria
- 20.01.2018U.S. government shuts down as lawmakers still searching for a deal
- 20.01.2018Pentagon: Turkey’s Afrin operation will not affect ties
- 20.01.2018Supreme Court to decide legality of Trump travel ban
- 20.01.2018US could soon be world’s largest oil producer
- 20.01.2018Russia: US creating 'bodies of authority' in Syria
- 20.01.2018US: Afrin operation does not serve Turkey's interests
- 20.01.2018Large amounts of foreign currency border crossing prevented
- 19.01.2018Car plows into crowd in Rio de Janeiro, 15 injured
- 19.01.2018Ex-CIA Director Stansfield Turner dead at 94; served under Carter
- 19.01.2018US House appoves short-term spending bill, avoid shutdown
- 19.01.2018US army tests secure Wi-Fi to increase troop ‘mobility and flexibility’
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America