US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
The Trump administration is expected to announce new sanctions against Iran soon, US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said during a White House briefing on Thursday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"I am expecting new sanctions on Iran, we continue to look at them," Mnuchin told reporters.
Earlier, Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs David Satterfield said in testimony before the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee that Washington plans to use aggressive sanctions to diminish the influence of Iran in Syria.
Also, Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs Steve Goldstein said during a press briefing that US President Donald Trump will make an announcement on whether he will recertify the Iran nuclear agreement either on Thursday or Friday morning.
"The President will make a decision based on all the information he has," Goldstein said on Thursday. "I would expect an announcement either later today or tomorrow morning."
In October 2017, Trump refused to certify Iran's compliance with the JCPOA, agreement which stipulates a gradual lifting of sanctions imposed on Iran in exchange for Tehran maintaining peaceful nature of its nuclear program, but stopped short of pulling the United States out of the pact, prompting condemnation from other members of the P5+1 that had brokered deal.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 17.04.2018Top NAFTA officials to meet in Washington Thursday
- 17.04.2018US-led coalition ready to share data with Russia on İSİL in Syria’s Abu Kamal
- 17.04.2018Syria says missiles fired at air base intercepted; Pentagon denies involvement
- 17.04.2018Trump administration delays new sanctions on Russia: official
- 17.04.2018U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- 17.04.2018U.S. bans American companies from selling to Chinese phone maker ZTE
- 16.04.2018U.S. military chiefs to brief Congress on Syria behind closed doors
- 16.04.20187 inmates dead, 17 injured after hours of rioting at South Carolina prison
- 15.04.2018UN chief warns of full-blown military escalation over Syria attacks
- 15.04.2018Pence calls for more action to isolate Venezuela's Maduro
- 14.04.2018UNSC fails to adopt Russia-drafted resolution condemning Syria strike
- 14.04.2018NATO calls on Damascus allies to exercise responsibility after US-Led attack
- 14.04.2018U.S. strikes cripple Syria's chemical weapons ability: Pentagon
- 14.04.2018Pentagon says strikes "successfully hit every target" in Syria
- 14.04.2018Donald Trump: Mission accomplished
- 14.04.2018US says it didn’t give Russia any advance warning about targets hit in Syria strikes
- 14.04.2018US has proof Syrian regime behind gas attack: Nauert
- 14.04.2018U.S., Britain, France launch air strikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Trump, Abe to focus on North Korea in Florida talks: U.S. official
- 14.04.2018Trump says U.S. will only rejoin Pacific trade pact if terms are improved
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord