Washington Says Wants to Rebuild 'Complicated' Relations With Russia
The United States' relationship with Russia is complicated but Washington would like to mend ties with Moscow, US State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said during a press briefing on Thursday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"It's a very complicated, complex relationship," Nauert told reporters when asked about relations with Russia. "We would like to rebuild that relationship because we have a lot of areas of mutual concern."
Earlieer, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that President Trump believes it is extremely important to establish a working relationship, noting however that the countries currently do not have one.
The relations between the United States and Russia have been recently chilly amid allegations that the Kremlin meddled in the 2016 US presidential election. The investigation into the matter by US Senate and House of Representatives committees is under way, which still have not produced comprehensive results.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said earlier that President Trump trusts National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster's assessments, who claimed recently that Russia aims to create "crises of confidence" and uses very sophisticated tools, including cybertattacks and disinformation.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 22.07.2017US congress proposes $250mln for allies to counter Russian influence
- 23.07.2017UN Security Council to hold urgent meeting on Jerusalem
- 23.07.2017Venezuelan opposition announces new anti-Maduro strike
- 22.07.2017US Defense Secretary says Daesh chief likely alive
- 21.07.2017US to prohibit citizens from traveling to North Korea
- 21.07.2017Sean Spicer resigns as White House spokesman