White House 'to release' secret memo on FBI
A Republican-drafted memo alleging FBI bias against US President Donald Trump will be released on Friday, a senior White House official says, APA reports quoting BBC.
Mr Trump is expected to declassify the document and send it to Congress for release, according to US media.
The FBI has voiced "grave concerns" about the release of the memo, which is expected to have redactions.
It reportedly says the FBI misled an intelligence court to obtain a warrant to spy on the Trump election campaign.
The four-page document was compiled by staffers for House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes, a member of Mr Trump's Republican party.
Congressional Democratic leaders called on Thursday for Mr Nunes' immediate removal as head of the panel.
They accused him of trying to discredit a federal inquiry into possible collusion between President Trump's presidential campaign and Russia.
What does the memo say?
It reportedly accuses the FBI and justice department of misleading a judge in March last year while seeking to extend a surveillance warrant against Carter Page, who was a foreign policy adviser to the 2016 Trump election campaign.
The memo is said to argue that the FBI and justice department did not tell the judge that some of their justification for the warrant relied on a much-disputed Trump-Russia dossier.
It was financed in part through the campaign of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to dig up dirt on Mr Trump, and compiled by former a British intelligence agent.
Unnamed sources told Reuters news agency the Republican memo is misleading because all the dossier excerpts used in the FBI warrant application were independently confirmed by US intelligence.
Mr Page, the former Trump adviser, testified before a congressional committee last November that he met Russian government officials during a trip to Moscow in July 2016.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 02.02.2018Tillerson warns Latin America against reliance on China
- 02.02.2018Cuban Ex-Leader Fidel Castro's Eldest Son Commits Suicide
- 02.02.2018US, Russia to meet nuclear treaty obligations, US says
- 01.02.2018PayPal's shares fall after eBay announces new payment partner
- 31.01.2018US sanctions Hamas chief; lists him on terror list
- 31.01.2018Train carrying Republican lawmakers hits truck; minor injuries